Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,689 Posts
Were both parents merle? Sorry if that's an obvious question, just trying to get the whole picture!

This pup doesn't look obviously double merle to me, but that doesn't mean she isn't. The big worry with double merle is that it can result in blindness and deafness, so if possible, getting a vet to check that the puppy has normal vision and hearing would be your best option before committing to bringing her home.

·
Super Moderator
3,689 Posts
Talk to your friend. If the male wasn't visibly merle, it's extremely unlikely she's a double merle (on rare occasions a dog that doesn't look merle can have very small and/or faint merle patches, which is called "cryptic merle"). If the male was genetically tested for color and had no merle gene, it's impossible for her to be double merle. If this was an 'oops' litter and your friend doesn't know who the sire was, or if your friend knowingly bred merle to merle, it's reasonable to be concerned.

To me, this puppy just looks like a light red merle. As LeoRose said, most double merle puppies will be mostly or fully pink on their nose, lips, and around their eyes due to lack of pigmentation, but it looks like she has mostly liver pigmentation in those areas. As I understand it, that's not 100% a guarantee she's not double merle, but a good sign that it's less likely to be the case! I totally understand wanting to know if there's any risk hearing or vision problems before taking her home, and I hope you can get some more answers.

Reactions: LeoRose
1 - 2 of 2 Posts