Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone with experience with double merle dogs look at a picture and tell me if they think the dog is or isn't MM? I was looking at a breeder I really liked and then this dog popped up. I know his sire is a merle and he really looks like a double merle to me, but I can't tell. I'll be pretty disappointed if it is, but I don't want to post the picture on-thread to avoid any drama. Does anyone mind a PM?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, I could help you out, though it's never 100% accurate, I had a foster BC that was a whiter factor Mm, not a MM, though I could have sworn he was a MM until I looked at his eyes. He had perfectly normal eyes, though he was still deaf LOL. We knew for sure he was not a MM because he was registered, and his Mother was a solid red.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you talking Lethal White in horses or the almost derogatory and definately wrong term used for Double Merle dogs?

I know nothing about the horses, but the term when applied to dogs is completely untrue. All "lethal white" is is a double merle. Rescues use the term to gain sympathy, breeders use the term to excuse them killing perfectly healthy (albeit deaf or blind) puppies. Double Merle puppies are not unhealthier, they have disabilities, sure, but they dont suffer, they're not sick, they dont inevitably die, and they aren't in any pain. IMO if breeders want to breed merle to merle, they should be willing to commit to all the puppies, not just kill the ones they cant sell. If they're not willing to make that commitment, they shouldn't be breeding merle to merle!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
You can pm me if you'd like.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
What color is the dam of the puppy? If the dam is not merle then the puppy is not double merle.

Anyway, you can pm me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cant tell from a pic like that. But I would guess single merle from that pic. A good shot of the eyes would help too, as Doubles mostly have weird eyes.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Oh thanks :) I dont think its double( its not deaf or blind) but i have minimal knowledge with the merle thing. I have found an obsession for merles though so am starting to learn.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Could anyone with experience with double merle dogs look at a picture and tell me if they think the dog is or isn't MM? I was looking at a breeder I really liked and then this dog popped up. I know his sire is a merle and he really looks like a double merle to me, but I can't tell. I'll be pretty disappointed if it is, but I don't want to post the picture on-thread to avoid any drama. Does anyone mind a PM?
I could give an idea. But some piebalds and dogs with extended white can be similar, so it can be tricky to say for sure. Do you know if both parents were merle? BTW, I just did a leg of tranport for three dogs to the "Special Needs" rescue in AZ. Three double merles - one totally blind, one totally deaf and one with vision in one eye and hearing.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yeah, I could help you out, though it's never 100% accurate, I had a foster BC that was a whiter factor Mm, not a MM, though I could have sworn he was a MM until I looked at his eyes. He had perfectly normal eyes, though he was still deaf LOL. We knew for sure he was not a MM because he was registered, and his Mother was a solid red.
Unless she was a cryptic merle.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It looks like a very light blue merle puppy with maybe a bit of extended white trim, but not out of pattern. The nose will probably mostly fill in with age, and it's likely the silver will darken.
Ah do not tell me that, I am already in love enough with this puppy... Lucky its back home and not where I live now.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

Ray (who is a much darker merle) as a puppy

Ray at about 5 months - you can see how much darker he was already

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
the dog looks like a regular merle with a light base.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Unless she was a cryptic merle.
yeah, i was gonna say that earlier today.....if the mom was from a merle parent, she could be carrying the merle gene and pass it on......found out my TirCeo is a cryptic...unfortunately, later rather than sooner...Titch, FinnAgin and Willow's daddy is a merle so we had a double merle litter.....(Tir has a small "frosted" area on her ear)....would that mean TirCeo is Mm?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Tir has a small "frosted" area on her ear)....would that mean TirCeo is Mm?
Unless it is just a dilute spot. A merle can have just a few silver hairs in one area and still be genetically merle. Or, with quite a bit of white trim, the white can cover the area that would otherwise be merle.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
About the puppy picture that was posted, looks like a regular blue merle to me. Frosty was light and silvery like that and also has alot of white on him, but he darkened up considerably with age.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Unless it is just a dilute spot. A merle can have just a few silver hairs in one area and still be genetically merle. Or, with quite a bit of white trim, the white can cover the area that would otherwise be merle.
technically, she is bl/wh....but on her lt ear she has a "frosted" tip (i'll try to get a pic later)....i know she's a cryptic b/c of the 1st litter colouring/markings, plus in her 2nd litter, when bred to a tri, she threw one pup w/ merle markings (i had 4 Aussie people tell me that he was a merle, not a tri) and the only way for that to happen is one parent being merle (carry the gene).....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts