Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 14 year old 14 lb poodle has a chronic cough. Vet thinks either allergies or from his enlarged heart which he is on medication for. Anyway she says I can give him 5mg Zyrtec twice a day. Whenever I look it up on websites it says 5 my a day for his size but he is sort of on the borderline. 16 Lb dogs can get 10mg. What would you do? Since the vet says 10 I want to go with that since he does cough a lot. I have been giving him a half in the am and a quarter in the pm

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My almost 14 year old 14 lb poodle has a chronic cough. Vet thinks either allergies or from his enlarged heart which he is on medication for. Anyway she says I can give him 5mg Zyrtec twice a day. Whenever I look it up on websites it says 5 my a day for his size but he is sort of on the borderline. 16 Lb dogs can get 10mg. What would you do? Since the vet says 10 I want to go with that since he does cough a lot. I have been giving him a half in the am and a quarter in the pm
I'd wait a day or two and see if 5mg helps at all. If it doesn't, since the vet said it was okay, bump it up to 10mg. (Call the vet and let them know so they can note that in his chart.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts