Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We recently got a puppy in May and he's been fine, you get a few chewing on this/that and we redirect it with toys and then he's fine. But recently he's been acting a bit weird. I read your article on the "Bite Stops Here" and it basically said what we were doing. If Luke, our dog's name, bit us we would stop playing with him until he calmed down or say "ouch!"

But sometimes he's been just nipping for no reason. And I don't mean to say for "no reason" as there's always a reason I just don't know what it is. We'll be playing get the rope toy or pup toy (as we call his squeaky rope dog toy) and then he'll start acting crazy barking high pitched and so I stand up and turn around on him and then sometimes he bumps our legs with his nose or if I sit down again and try to pet him for being good (after he's calmed down) he'll go for my hand.

Why is this? What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it? I understand that people shouldn't put their hand down towards the dog, but rather pet underneath first.

So what's wrong? Help please! :confused:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
He wants the attention and more play and nipping is the natural way to get it. He gets wound up and excited....often as a result of the humans efforts to engage them in play. Puppies don't have a whole lot of self control....that comes with age/experience.

It can be hard to play with puppies and keep the play somewhat restained and you're on the right track with that...it will just take some practice on his part. The cardinal rule is no hands.....they don't get to play with or nip the hands.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Yes. Indoors isn't the best place to run wild though. Ideally, they get to expend most of their energy on walks and outdoor games so they're not so hyper in the house.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thank you Tooney! Right now he can't have long walks because he doesn't have all his shots yet, but he does go for power walks in our back/front yard.

·
Registered
417 Posts
He wants the attention and more play and nipping is the natural way to get it. He gets wound up and excited....often as a result of the humans efforts to engage them in play. Puppies don't have a whole lot of self control....that comes with age/experience.

It can be hard to play with puppies and keep the play somewhat restained and you're on the right track with that...it will just take some practice on his part. The cardinal rule is no hands.....they don't get to play with or nip the hands.
I agree. We have a 2 year old dog and just got a 5 month old dog.
Here is a typical afternoon. They are both sleeping or just laying around. One gets up and gets the other one to start playing. They start off slow, a bite of an ear here, pull the tail etc....Then they start playing rougher, then they start with the barking and jumping on each other, the next thing you know I ahve a 65 lb and a 40 dog racing through the house. We quickly (before it breaks out in a free for all) try to get them outside where they run and chase each other for all of 5-10 minutes until they get tired and go lay down again.
It is noraml dog play. If you don't have another dog for them to play with, they try to play with their humans that way!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Okay thank you Tooney! Right now he can't have long walks because he doesn't have all his shots yet, but he does go for power walks in our back/front yard.
it sounds like you know what you are doing. how cool. :)

i agree with tooney that he's just playing. i think he's getting over excited and doesn't know how to contain himself. lol.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay, thank you all so much for answering! When Luke is outside too, we play with him or do tricks. July 4th is when we can take him out really to parks, etc!

kacaju--I bet that's real fun and a bit of a challenge to get your two dogs to go outdoors, or maybe you just open the door and out they go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts