Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a family of 5. my wife, me and 3 kids 8, 6, and 1.

Recently bought our own place and so we are able to get a dog now, BUT....no yard.

So, we are looking for and indoor dog, good with small kids. Can you guys suggest breeds? Should I look for a breeder, or the local shelter, classifieds? Breeders are so pricey and I dont know what the benefit is unless you're wanting a show dog I guess?

I would love to have a boxer, boston terrier, or pitbull b/c I think these are the absolutely most beautifull dogs ever. My wife and I had a Pibull before kids and she was the best!

Good with kids
can go on runs with me are the main things i suppose.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hello, welcome to DF!

Of the options you listed (in terms of where to get a dog) I'd say a shelter dog would probably suit you all just fine. The classifieds will be full of back yard breeders which generally are a bad idea and you mentioned you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a reputable breeder (although I must say a lot of BYBs charge as much if not more). A reputable breeder btw is better than a hobby breeder because they are health and temperment tested and usually represent the very best of their breed. They come with health guarantees and you pretty much know exactly what you're going to get with a dog from a reputable breeder.

A lot of rescues will also be able to let you know which of their dogs are known to be good with kids and can make recommendations of dogs that will fit in particularly well with your situation.

In terms of not having a yard that's fine. Many apartment dwellers without yards, myself included, have dogs and it works otu just fine. It just means you need to be committed to walking the dog each and every day.

So the next questions before I would make a recommendation are....what kind of energy level do you want? How much grooming are you willing to do? What do you want in a dog?

In terms of the breeds you listed you are likely to find a lot of pitties in shelters. They are, as far as I know, really great with humans and kids, it's just other dogs you have to watch them with. If you had a pittie before and loved him/her I don't see why you couldn't get another as long as you are committed to the training and special considerations that come with owning a pittie (the bad reputation and BSL mainly). If you have a pitbull you really want to try to be a breed ambassador by having an exceptionally well-behaved dog. On the other hand good training is a must for any breed especially in a house with kids.

So...tell us a little more about what you want in a dog and I'm sure the members here will have a lot more to say. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yeah our Pit from before was from a shelter....dont know how she was treated during the first 3 yrs. of her life but she quickly became our spoiled only child and was the best dog....i never knew someone could love an animal as much as we did. Very loyal, playfull when we took her out, and very chill when we wanted to stay in. As long as we let her be next to us she was happy.....we had a cat also and before long they would eat out of the same bowl! But she got very protective and aggressive when another dog was anywhere in sight.

Anyways....we live about 1.5 miles from my doorstep to the beach, and even less to the nearest park, so we would be taking her out doors daily. Basically I want a companion on runs at the beach, park, or local track, during the day and that would be content to lay on the couch with the family as we watch some tv and unwind.

My wife really misses the companionship and loyalty of our pitbull years ago, but has also expressed that a pit would make her nervouse now days. A couple of our nieghbors have small dogs and we had some 'heart attack' moments with our pit and other dogs.

We both really like boxers but I know some that are off the walls crazy energy and that probably wouldnt work.....maybe if it were a female (smaller) and spayed?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I would say a pitbull from a shelter would be a great choise. but only from a shelter that does temperment testing. some of the tests they will do are how does the dog act with other dogs, cats, children, is the dog food aggressive, do they bite if they are pinched.

A good shelter will lable their dogs with signs such as "Not good with dogs" or "Best in a home without children" If the dog didn't pass thoughs part of the test.
The best thing about getting an adult dog 2 years or older is you pritty much know what kind of personality the dog has. If it's layed back, hyper, or dog aggressive.

All the boxers I have met have been very hyper and clumsy no matter the sex (or lack of sex) They are very happy dogs and great with people but in my opnion way too overwhelming for such young children like you have

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Our shelter does not allow adoptions to families with small children. Check the rules before you let the kids get their hearts set on a certain dog while walking through the shelter.

My experience is that most shelter dogs past the puppy stage make great family pets. I'd even consider a shepherd mix or lab mix. I would suggest that you just go and look. See what tugs at your hearts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input! By the time I got home yesterday my wife had been in contact with a lady who has 2 pit/am-staff females about 2.5 months. My wife asked all the questions (good with kids, and other animals, etc,) and the lady was just completely floored. She said that she was very excited to have someone call and ask the right questions. Typically everyone who has called has only been concerned with the size of the jaw/chest, and if they are ready to breed yet! So she turns them away. She was very excited to speak with my wife.

Anyways she says the dogs are crate trained, socialized with the dad and other dogs daily, socialized with kids of variouse ages daily, and mellow temperment. Both parents are on site and both are good with other dogs and kids. She says that when its play time with the other dogs (I think she has quite a few) she is always watching to see who assumes the Alpha role and she puts an end to that immediately, not allowing any of them to assume that role. She wants my wife to see them and see how she disciplines them and how they play, etc.

Sounds good so my wife is gonna drive out and see them today and then we will go together maybe with the kids this weekend, and go from there.

What are your thoughts? Any questions we should be asking, things we should look for?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Did she breed the dogs? I'd be kind of weary if this was an intentional breeding if she's not a legit breeder. Is she asking for a price or just a small re-homing fee?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did she breed the dogs? I'd be kind of weary if this was an intentional breeding if she's not a legit breeder. Is she asking for a price or just a small re-homing fee?
She only wants a small fee that would cover the recent shots...$100. The dad is pit and the mom am staff i think. Ive saw and ad next to this one for pits with Hulk/Gator bloodline whatever that means and those dogs are different looking then these pups. SImilar but different.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Hulk and Gator bloodline are bred mostly to look tough and mean. not a dog you want for your family as dogs in this line are typicaly favored if they show aggression toward humans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hulk and Gator bloodline are bred mostly to look tough and mean. not a dog you want for your family as dogs in this line are typicaly favored if they show aggression toward humans.
Ya I see ads in the same classifieds for pits that are so thick that they have the shortes legs with a great white shark head.....the pups we have our eyes on are not those ones, they look more like the amstaff pics that you see when you google amstaff.

I know most pits in my area go to young single male types and they have them as an ornimant to look tough.......not what we want. Family dog, thats it. I dont care if its scared of butterflies! I just want that loyal companion to my family, and i LOVE the way the pits/am staffs look.....as long as its not like jabba the hut.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Greyhounds make great indoor dogs, BUT you MUST be committed to leash walking them if you have no fence. They are not an off leash breed or an underground fence breed (though I really don't like either for any breed). Though, if you really like the look of an amstaff/pit, you might not like the leaner look of a greyhound.

A Boston Terrier might be a really nice fit. Sturdy, compact, low shedding and TONS of personality. Not sure how their energy level will fit in to your family though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So wife went and spent some time with the doggies today. She took pics for me to see tonight.....she was a little surprised and maybe a tad concerned that (by looking at mom and pop) they may grow to be a little heavier and more muscular then we thought. Also there was a concern that pop had a few scars on his face. Owner said that she got him from a rescue and that he is the sweetest thing and thinks he's a puppy, but she also has a doberman that wanted to be the boss and used to pick on him.....but she is firm that she keeps an eye out for the pups that they dont develop the alpha mentality.

Should we be concerned about the pop?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I am still a little confused as to how she came about the puppies. You stated she got the father from a rescue, did she use him for breeding? I may have missed something, if so, I am sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no you are right....that is the info we have so far. she said she got dad from a rescue....maybe she got the doberman from a rescue? dont know. If dad was from a rescue he would be nuetered? is that what youre hinting at?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
no you are right....that is the info we have so far. she said she got dad from a rescue....maybe she got the doberman from a rescue? dont know. If dad was from a rescue he would be nuetered? is that what youre hinting at?
Well, he SHOULD be neutered and he definitely should NOT be bred. He is a rescue which means she doesn't know his past and could in no way guarantee quality of lines. Not to say that the puppies will not be of safe temperament etc... but just because a dog can breed doesn't mean it should. If this woman purposely bred a rescued dog, I personally would run far and fast from her. I would not promote this behavior by giving her any money for the pups.
You have a lot at stake (your kids) if you suspect anything is wrong with this picture then I wouldn't take that risk. I am a major advocate for rescue so don't think I am trying to talk you out of rescue. I just don't want to see someone being led to believe they are rescuing when they are actually helping an unethical back yard breeder make money. There are many good rescues and thousand of Pits and Pit mixes that have been temperament tested by knowledgeable staff. Use caution. :) (I already know you are, that is just the over protective part of me voicing that.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you for all your input, my wife is thinking this is not the right choice for us the more she thinks about it.....i will check out badrap PB rescue, or maybe take a look at some boston terrier pups we found.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Bad rap is great!

I am a Whippet person, but I do love the APBTs :)

My dog is perfect for no yard (lazy dog though, he would not go for runs with you lol), and great with my infant, though

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't think this woman sounds like the person you should be getting a dog from. It sounds fishy. APBTs are not something you want to play around with.. you want someone who is honest and upfront and trying to better the breed either by quality breeding or rescuing.. this woman doesn't seem to know which one she wants to do :confused:

DEFINITELY contact BADRAP, I think they can steer you in the right direction.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/adoptions.cfm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts