Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been looking into taking courses for dog training. I recently checked out CATCH Canine Academy Training, but I don't know if it's worth it. I currently work in behavioral health for children with autism, so I thought this could be a good path for me and I've always wanted to work with dogs. But I'm struggling on finding a good place to start. I saw someone recommend finding your own mentor and self-teaching, but I'd like to take a course if I can, as I'm not always the best at self-discipline when it comes to studies. Any guidance or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Realistic questions to ask yourself are "How much experience do I already have training dogs?", and "Am I looking to do this as a hobby, or do I want to support myself doing it?". Another question is "Do I want to be a pet trainer, or do I want to focus on sport training?". Also "Am I confident in putting my skills out there for other people to see?".

I can tell you right now that independent dog trainers are hurting. Groups classes are hard to hold, and even one-on-one lessons are difficult. Trainers that contract with a facility are also hurting, for the same reasons.

I train my dogs, and dabble in sports. That's as far as I ever want to go, despite my former neighbor's grandiose idea that he breed German Shepherd Dogs and that I train them in police work (he was under the impression that our nosework and parkour training were police dog training....).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts