Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 or 5 weeks ago we got a pup from a rescue. He had been in a shelter in Cali then brought to WA, he had only been up here a short time before we got him so he was being boarded. I didn't know what either place was feeding him so we went with Taste of the Wild but he had diarrhea 4-5 (at least) times a day. At first I figured it was because of the sudden change and it would take some time to adjust, but after a few weeks there was no change so we switched again, but slowly this time. I picked a brand that had brown rice hoping the rice would help his digestion. We also stopped giving him any treats just to make sure they were the cause. Its been almost 2 weeks since we started the change and he is mostly on the new stuff with just a bit of the old sprinkled in but there has been no improvement. Am I not giving it long enough or am I right to be concerned?

I am not positive on his age, but somewhere around 10-11 months, he is a Lab mix weighing 45lb (last I checked) and I am feeding him about 1 1/2 cups 2x a day

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That's about twice as much food as my 44 pound year old lab mix got. Guess I was lucky, the rescue told me how much and what food she had been on.

Try feeding 25% less for a couple days to see if there is improvement. If so then that could be it. Decrease a bit more if stool is still not firm and after stool has been firm for a while you might add just a few kibbles per meal more if he gets too ribby. Year old dogs should be skinny though, the next couple years is when muscle goes on. Even if he looks skinny now he clearly isn't absorbing what you are giving him so feeding less will not starve him.

If no change then to the vet for a fecal. You might need to do fecals several times a week apart as various parasites only shed periodically and a single fecal won't detect the cysts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... last time I believe the feeding instructions on the bag. He isn't skinny though (but also not overweight), so it definetly should hurt him to eat a bit less so I will give it a try. thanks!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I agree with trying feeding less for a week or so, the feeding guidelines on bags are generally quite high for the average dog. Neutered/spayed dogs generally need less food than intact dogs. Of course activity and individual metabolism matter, but I have found that many dogs need to be eating at or a bit below the mid-point of the suggested amount of food for most brands. My active and muscular 5 year old spayed female is 65 lbs and eats about 3 cups per day, of course she isn't growing anymore but a 10-11 month old dog is starting to slow down on the growing stage too.

What brand are you feeding now?

You can also try adding a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just the plain stuff) to his dinner.

If you haven't taken him to the vet since you have gotten him, I suggest a vet check including a fecal test to rule out parasites.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts