1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Please give me advice for potty training my puppy ! this is the story:
She is a 8 month old havanese
We got he at 5 months old and she came already trained to go on pee pads (the breeder did)
So we decided ok we will do that ! (we had originally planned to train her to go on the balcony Because our other dog does this. she goes on the balcony and on walks. SO we stuck to the pee pads up until a week ago. Because i don't know why but she started to pee wherever, whenever completely missing the pee pads.
So one day while i was sleeping apparently she peed completely in the center of the room not near pee pads right in front of my Dad. My dad got angry said NO BAD GIRL nose rubbed on the pee, and put her on the pee pads to say go only on the pee pads ! (he did this when he caught her in the act, not after) well apparently she did not understand what he was trying to say because it has been 3 days now she has never peed on the floor in the house now she only pees on walks (2 walks a day) and if she can't hold it, her bed or on blankets (places we won't find it) While it's great she pees on walks now (she didn't used to) i want her to pee on the balcony like our other dog. WHY? because, i don't like how she has to hold it in for hours and i don't wanna take her for like 5 walks a day because we are on the 7th floor and there is no elevator.
SO now we are just surveilling her all the time and hoping that she pees in the house to say NO! nose rub and put her on the balcony so she understand we want her to pee on the balcony.
Right now she is holding it in until she can get walked in the morning and evening, and i don't like that.
ANYWAY now you know the story, please tell me how i can train her to go on the balcony? and to make her not so afraid to go in the house so we can catch her ! lol :p
She does not go on the pads at all ever since my dad got angry with her. GAH if only he hadn't ! she wouldn't be so scared to pee, and it would be so much easier :-(
I put her on the balcony ever few hours and pretend i am not watching her so she pees but no luck yet :-( she only pees twice a day now (on the 2 daily walks) she used to be pee constantly when she was on pee pads. Btw we leave her the pee pads its not like we have taken them away she just doesnt go on them :(( she only pees on walks ever since he got angry with her. Or on the blanket and her bed when she couldn't hold it anymore (if only we had caught her :/ ) Also everytime my dog wants to go out (she scratches the door to go out ) i put the havanese with her but still nothing...
Any advice is SO appreciated

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmm, you want her to not be so afraid to pee in the house so you can stick her face in her own waste. Good plan!

Never ever do that. It's disgusting and only teaches the dog to fear you and get accustomed to having pee all over her face (which is not a good plan if you want a clean dog). You need to watch her very carefully so she doesn't get a chance to pee in the house (tether her to your waist or whatever it takes), then take her to the proper potty spot several times a day and wait until she goes there. Then when she does (she's gotta go sometime!), praise her and give her treats and everything else she likes. Make sure she knows that the balcony is a great place to go potty. She may be afraid to pee in front of you (anywhere) because of the harsh punishment, so you might have to work on regaining her trust first.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Willowy gave you very good advice^^

Also, you might try removing the pee pads and seein if she goes. Maybe she's just scared to go on those because of what your Dad did. I deffinetly agree on keeping an eye on her at all times, otherwise she might start getting in the bad habit of sneaking off and peeing in the house, and trust me, I've been there with one of my own dogs(everyone makes mistakes!), and it can be hard to break and leaves you to clean up pee all the time. And make sure you take ER out after she eats, drinks, or wakes up from a nap. Those will be the times she'll be most likely to have to go ;)

Also, if you find any pee in the house, make sure you clean it with an enzymatic cleaner(like Natures Miracle) otherwise your dog will still be able to smell it and think its an okay place to "go."

~IJMB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies :)
Oh i didn't know it was bad to nose rub people told me it was the best way... thank you for informing me !
I am taking her out to the balcony several times a day and she does nothing ! :( even after she hasn't peed for 10+ hours it's ridiculous.. :(
I have removed the pads. We are keeping an eye on her all the time (except when we are not home) she hasn't had any accidents

·
Registered
357 Posts
Put peeing on cue.

You know that she pees on walks. I'm assuming that you can predict pretty much when she is about to pee. BEFORE she starts to pee say your cue word. I use "hurry up" other common cues are "do your business" or "go potty". I tend to repeat it until the dog goes. When she does pee praise her as if gold was coming out and give her a really special treat (liver, chicken, stinky cheese) within 1 second of her finishing. Try getting her to pee in different locations on your walk. My dog will actually try to squeeze out a pee when I give the cue.

Do the above for a couple of weeks. Take her for 5 walks a day if you need to.

Now try taking her to the balcony before one of your walks and give the cue to pee. This will work best if she has a good understanding of the cue on walks and in as many different locations as possible.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great idea ! i actually think that could work with her ! i just have to train her to pee on cue problem is she just stops and pees or poop she deosnt give clues like smelling/going around in circles ect but while she is doing it i give the word and then give her a treat hope she picks up on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I HAVE AMAZING NEWS !
SHE WENT ON THE BALCONY ! wooohhoooo !!!!!! and she knows too because i have already put her on the balcony twice and she peed twice !! she finally understood !! :D! hallelujah !
the way i did it was i put her out there and closed the door to the balcony and did the curtains so she felt like nobody was watching her ! :D and gave her a treat when she came back in ! (couldn't give when she did it because i am not with her when she does it) i also say the word i use when she pees/poops outside but dunno if that helped since she doesnt seem to even listen to me when i say it on the walk but anyway i say it when i take her out before i close the door

1 - 7 of 7 Posts