Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to share this encounter I had today.

I was walking the dogs, off leash, on a multi-user path this morning. As I came around a turn I saw an elderly woman walking toward me with her equally elderly pug (also off leash). The woman was a walking advertisement for people who look like their dogs. She had a round, wrinkled face, buggy eyes, and an angry expression like she hadn't smiled in a million years.

As we walked toward her I fully expected her to yell at me for having 2 large dogs off leash (even though they were both heeling beautifully), and to snatch up her pug, and stalk off.

But...

As soon as she saw Toby she got this HUGE smile and said, "A Lassie dog! I used to have a Lassie dog. I haven't seen one in so long." As she bent over to pet him, Toby leaned against her and gazed up at her with his most adoring expression. She was just thrilled. We spent a few minutes while she told me about her "Lassie dog". She turned out to be a very sweet lady.

Even her little, very old pug seemed to enjoy meeting my boys.

It was a completely different encounter than I'd expected. And a much nicer one. You just never know...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Why would you think this person would be angry with you for your dogs off leash when her dog was also. \People do grow old and not as attractive as when they were your age. Sometimes the pain from arthritis disfigures your face as well. It sad but true,and before you know it you will that old person, time flys.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I generally am very poker faced and reserved around people, but dogs make me light up the way some people light up around babies. It seems like that old lady is like that too. =)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My grandmother was like that woman in some ways. She didn't have a dog and her face was generally pretty neutral but if she'd seen your Collies her reaction would have been exactly the same. My grandmother absolutely loved and adored Collies. They had a family Collie (rough sable), named Sandy, when my Dad and his siblings were growing up.

I think it was stories about Sandy even more than watching Lassie every Sunday night that made me want a Collie, especially since Sandy was descended from the Sunnybank Collies and I absolutely devoured Terhune's stories.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Heck.. I am getting old.. OK.. I AM old... and I am working REAL HARD at having that permament Scowl. Scares the children away...

..but not the dogs and cats! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahahaha. I've had a few of those encounters myself. When I used to take my one dog to his agility classes, he was with a bunch of Shelties, some Border Collies, and an occasional smaller dog...my dog, being a Pitbull, I figured some of the people may seem a bit wary, but after class every week, all the dogs were let off leash to romp and play; including my guy.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've come across people like that...even the opposite. They look friendly and when I say something in general, they seem surprised that I spoke..go figure.

I'm with Pai. I smile at dogs more than I do at people.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
It is just a wonderful gift, the moment of happiness that a dog can bring to a person. :)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
The other day I was at Home Depot with Trent, and this guy, who I had to say looked pretty tough, with a 3+ piercings on each ear, two lip rings, eyebrow piercings, tattoos all over his arms, a ripped leather jacket, and an angry expression, stopped in front of him and asked me if he could pet my dog. He made all these baby-talk noises and started petting him and saying how much he loved puppies. Then he went to show me his own rat terrier puppy and talked on and on about all the dogs he's had!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Hurray for happy chance meetings! It's so nice to have one's faith in humanity unexpectedly recharged :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts