Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at fencing in my back yard.
I was going to go with an invisible fence but after a close call with a growly (but turns out nice) neighborhood dog I think I want something that keeps other animals out as well as it keeps my dog in.
I'm looking at the vinyl privacy fence vs the aluminum "wrought iron" fence
The aluminum will look classier but it will be shorter ( 4' vs 6' are about the same price) and the dog will see things through it that may tempt escape.
Also I'm planing self installation. The vinyl seems much less neighborly.
Any advice
(I don't like chain link at all.)

·
Registered
703 Posts
The nice thing about wrought iron is you can grow vines up it. We can't stand chain link either.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big is your dog? And what breed?
He's a 40lb jack russell pointer mix(I'm guessing).
He could probably make it over the 4ft ALuminum if he tried. I don't plan on leaving him out 100% unattended but there will times while I'm doing other things in the garage or front yard while he's alone out back. That's the plan at least.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We're in the process of choosing a fence and obtaining quotes. My lab mix is reactive (barrier frustration) and a digger so we're going with a 6ft wooden privacy fence. I plan on supervising her when she's out, too.

Good luck with the fence. I think both look really nice.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The aluminium looks classier and as said above you can grow creepers if you need to have a screen.

If you are concerned your dog will jump out or another dog will jump in, run an electric tape along the top. If the dog touches it he gets a jolt and will not go back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm guessing he would have no trouble clearing 4ft. You would definitely need to either supervise him pretty close to constantly at least for awhile. You could always do the iron AND a electric fence.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well whenever/wherever you have growth (vines etc) you have more insects etc. Then add to the mix the maintaining of whatever growth is added to the program. We have 6 ft high wooden fence around home area, chain link on rest. Neighbors which are not close as we live in rural area have called our place "The Fort"

I like the not being able to see through fence as it keeps dogs quieter, but I am not cursed with the keep neighbors happy attitude. That is one of the blessings of living in rural area.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I prefer the fence they can see through. Mine love to watch all that goes on, but there is an 80 acre field beside me to see the deer and coyotes and all.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We had our yard fenced in three years ago. We were surprised that cedar was cheaper than chain link. There are a few things to think about: future dogs; will a taller fence be important? Vinyl/cedar vs wrought iron/chain link: privacy. If that's important, harder with the latter. Also with privacy, not just for you but the dogs. I have a reactive dog and needed privacy. Lastly, again regarding height. If you live where there's snow, a 4 ft tall fence becomes smaller with snow banks.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
I prefer wood fences over vinyl; in part because if a piece of the vinyl gets broken, you have to replace the entire 8 ft section. While for a traditional wood fence, you can pull a few slats off and replace for a couple dollars. The cheaper vinyl fences can be brittle and snap if hit by a weed eater or lawn mower.

The aluminum looks good, but small dogs and animals can fit through it- so a future buyer of your home with a Chihuahua wouldn't find it very helpful at all.

4 ft fence is easy for many larger dogs to jump.

If you do 4 ft aluminium, at least get the "pool safe" type that is approved for use around swimming pools if you live in a climate where you or another owner may want a below OR above ground pool sometime.

Growing climbing vines for privacy is a huge pain with tons of annoyances like bugs, the dog eating the vine (many are poisonous to dogs), dead vines in winter, dead vines in a drought- which you then have to cut and remove before the new vines grow over it, flowering vines can bring bees with them etc.

My much preferred fence is a 6 foot traditional wood privacy fence. If there is a portion where you WANT a view, then use 6 ft aluminium.

Typically (not always, location dependent of course), a privacy fence adds more value to the house than a 4 foot fence of any sort. 6 foot aluminum may be overkill in terms of cost to value added ratio.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We just put in a 6 foot wooden privacy fence this spring...love it!! And I love the privacy!

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
One other major benefit to a privacy fence (wood or vinyl)-- no one can stick their hands through it.

You don't have to worry about some neighborhood kid reaching into pet your dog, harass your dog, feed the dog something dangerous etc. Even if your dog wouldn't bite in a million years, I've seen little kids get licked by dogs and start screaming that they got bit. Then you're dealing with angry parents even if the kid doesn't have a mark on 'em. Or trying to pet the dog and getting an arm pinched or twisted if the dog runs or jumps.

My neighbor kids love Chester and Chester loves them; but the littlest one tried feeding Chester chocolate donuts once, and popsicles another time. Of course, I was watching him, but even if you just want to leave your dog in the yard for a bit while you do some chores, it is so nice not to have to worry about that.

Even adults can be stupid. There's some odd lady in my area that walks home from the grocery and stops to feed the outdoor dogs down the street handfuls of bread (it's a corner house, so the "back" yard is along the side walk).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts