Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at my aunt's house with Hawk and Kechara and two of my other Aunts were there too.

the house is built in a suberb with a very large "U" shaped lake in the middle and her house is built on the shore.

So I was playing ball with Kechara throwing it into the water and letting her jump off my aunts boat dock. The water was pritty chilly since it has only been getting up to around 60F durning the day right now. so the water was probably around 50F.

Well One of my aunts starts slightly panicking at first saying "Oh it's pritty cold she must be cold in the water" then "You should stop throwing that in the water, she's getting cold" and then I said "She likes it she does this all the time at home" (we have a small pond) she then says something that really got on my nerves. "She'll catch nuemonia. Dogs will kill themselves just to please their owners"

I just told my aunt "If she were really trying to please me right now, she would be laying down in front of the TV and sleeping insted of whining and shuving the ball at me to play with her"

Well just so my aunt wouldn't have a heart attack I switched to ball playing to solid ground.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
boy, she would have really come unglued last Nov if she saw my dogs....we were goosing the last day of the season, b/4 they finally headed out, and it was FREEZING.....ice had already formed a good 8'-10' out from the shoreline on the pond, getting thinner (of course) toward the center and Tir went swimming 3x to get the geese off the water (Titch and Willow went in at least 2x themselves)...by the time i could call her off she was a ice glob (every part of her that was wet froze as soon as she hit land).....

but, there was no getting her to stop till the last goose flew....

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would show a little more respect toward your aunts, there concern for the dogs were commendable. You may think they have no dog smarts compared to your level, but there heart was in the right place. Think about it?;)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Wow I hate people's ignorance like that. Although 50 degree water is cold. If its something you do, your dog loves it and you know it doesn't harm them they need to butt out! Always a nice way to be rubbed the WRONG WAY!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was at one of our local lakes here a few weeks back and it was just icing off from winter , only about 50 feet of clear water around the shore . There was a couple there with 3 black labs and one decided to go out and chase ducks , well that dog was out there for near 30 minutes swimming around chasing ducks ( they looked like they were having fun with the dog ) . I thought for sure this would end tragically but the dog finally tired and went to shore , shook itself off and they all went ahead with their walk . I bet the water was less than 40 F :eek: . It really amazed me .

·
Banned
572 Posts
I wonder why so many people are taking the views that dogs are these weak, helpless creatures that would just waste away and die from any slightest exertion or fresh air?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I wonder why so many people are taking the views that dogs are these weak, helpless creatures that would just waste away and die from any slightest exertion or fresh air?
Worrying that a medium size dog could get sick from too much cold water exposure is hardly thinking that fresh air will kill them. Now who is over reacting?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have a hard time believing your Aunt's statement... If Kechara thought it was too cold, wouldn't we like to think she'd have enough smarts to not jump in the water?

I don't know... It's something you do with your dogs all the time, and dogs like Kechara aren't fragile Chihuahuas. She could have just made a couple suggestions and left it at that... Trying to use a scare tactic to get you to stop was a little excessive... My opinion, but like someone else said, Her heart was in the right place...

·
Registered
535 Posts
If Kechara where not wanting to get into the water she wouldn't do that. Frodo my dog loves water and only gets in it if he pleases. He knows where the water gets deep and strangly stops when it gets deep. Dogs aren't stupid! They are smart!:D

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Al three of my dogs were in the water in our pond at ome as soon as the ice had melted from the shore only a couple feet. lol. Aussies just seem to love water no matter how cold it is.

my other (calm) aunts were trying to calm her down just telling her "it's alright, it's not going to hurt Kechara" and stuff like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts