Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I'd some like input and advice here if what I'm doing should be done in a different way, or if things should be done in a different order.

Tomorrow shall start Donatello's serious training. I'm revamping his education, freshening what he's already learned, and stepping up the levels he hasn't.

However, before I start working with him using the training-levels, I need to complete some perquisites- For instance, can you believe he doesn't know his name?

It's been six months!! It's not his fault, but mine... I haven't taken the time to actually work with him, calling out his name and treating him when he responds. I didn't think it was a big issue until I noticed the other day that when I called his name he didn't even flinch! Usually, he'll look at me- But he'll respond to anything if it's sweet and pleasant.

So...
1. TEACH DONATELLO HIS NAME! Ugh! -.- I feel like such an boob.
2. Instill the inner-wokings of the clicker, teach him that the clicker=treats. I haven't used the clicker on him since I bought it several months ago... He sort of "freaked-out", but I'm going to be doing the majority of his training at the park where he feels the most comfortable. (It's a shame your dog feels more at-home at the dog park then in your own home!)

3. We're now beginning Level 1- Everything aside, he's almost completed level 1 and 2 together... I just didn't know it, and he's not perfect yet. I'm refreshing the command "come" to sharpen his recall, lately he's been slacking, the only thing I have to teach him is *target* and *zen*- His commands will be called, "touch" and "off".

4. Then we'll begin Level 2.

I have a question- When going about training, using this method... Should I teach *zen* or *target* first? It seems to me that teaching either one first would confuse the dog when trying to teach the other.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I taught Zen first, then Target. I found this to be easier because it's much more natural for a dog to approach/sniff a presented hand than to leave it alone, so even with the previous Zen foundation in place, Target was still easily accomplished with a little coaxing. I also waited to teach Target until Zen was solid.

Make sure the hand signals look very different. I use a closed fist for Level 1 zen. For Target, I present the back of my hand.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan. First and foremost, I would go slow with Donatello so as not to overwhelm him. Lots and lots of focus training to get him to learn his name and adapt to the clicker at the same time. Simply say his name, he looks at you, click and treat. Lather, rinse, repeat. Once he is comfortable and confident with that piece, then I would move on to more demanding training.

We do target training with all three dogs in the evening as a way to settle their minds for the night. They all love it and it's a good mental exercise, especially for the young one - we are working it into her learning to turn off the light switch, we'll see how that goes. That can be a fun exercise for Donatello, but again I would take it at his pace and not overtax him with training if it's stressing him out.

I have a daughter with cerebral palsy and hip dysplasia, I have learned over the past seven years that slow and steady always wins the race! Donatello may just be a slow and steady kind of guy, he'll do it his own way!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys- Of course I'm going to go slow, like I always say, I have the rest of his life to work out his imperfections... As you can see I have a "to-do" list, with no dates or time frames. I learned my lesson the hard-way many months ago trying to push him... He's smart enough that he'll pick it up quickly on his own time.

I planned on using the back of my hand for "touch" as well, (most people show the back of their hand to strange dogs when greeting them.) I'm sure he'd recognize the difference... I can't wait to get started. : )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts