Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well. I took Donatello to a dog park for the first time today!

Luckily I got there early enough we were the only ones there, I wanted to see how well he would do being off the leash in a strange area. He has a good recall, a slight delay, but he'll come running sure enough; He also didn't like being out of my sight for any given amount of time either...

We got there around 9:40 or so, it was so chilly! But he did really well, then about thirty minutes later an older gentlemen showed up with his two dogs, and he went into the large dog pen next to us... We started talking I touched finger to noses with his two dogs, and Donatello greeted them as well... He did really well!

I'm hoping to build him up, and by gradually introducing him to strange dogs, sooner or later he'll be ready to go when it's busy! : D We won't be going every day because of the gas it takes to get there, it's about 15 minutes away, but with all the red lights and the traffic it burns a lot of fuel. We'll probably go every other day... He laid down and slept the whole way home! It's a good sign, he's pooped, he's sound asleep now too, and he didn't get that "heart breaking" look on his face when we got home either, which is good! I'm glad! : )

Here are some videos and pictures:

We found some left over snow and I tossed some around, here's what he thought of the snow!

Just watch, it's funny... It's like he comes out of no where! lol!

When we first got there, he had to inspect everything...

-MORE-

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-CONTINUED-

Then after awhile he got more comfortable and decided that this obstruction was now his!

Only when we're out at parks does he scratch the ground after he marks... It's strange!

Then he's off!

-MORE-

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-CONTINUED-

He listens so well!

QUICK SNAP BEFORE HE'S OFF AGAIN!

He really hates the snow, lol, he was tearing those snow balls apart as fast as I could throw them!

He had so much fun, and so did I!

-MORE-

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
-CONTINUED-

We left around 11:15 or so, and made the small trek back to the truck.

He was really wore out! He didn't argue, and didn't even stop to mark on the way back...

Thanks for looking!
-END-

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've heard different opinions about leaving collars or harnesses on a dog while at the (enclosed) park. Some people think it can be a problem if they get into a fight, as it gives the other dogs something to hold onto or can cause them to get injured during rough play, or it can get hung up on something. But then again it does give you something to control the dog with if it is needed. I think most people around here remove them when going in the park. Something to think about. Discuss!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very cute pictures!

I've heard different opinions about leaving collars or harnesses on a dog while at the (enclosed) park. Some people think it can be a problem if they get into a fight, as it gives the other dogs something to hold onto or can cause them to get injured during rough play, or it can get hung up on something. But then again it does give you something to control the dog with if it is needed. I think most people around here remove them when going in the park. Something to think about. Discuss!
My first thought was "wow, that's a lotta harness/collar for another dog to grab on to..."

I guess it didn't much matter in this case since he didn't have any other dogs in the enclosure with him.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, as much as I can agree with the fact another dog can grab onto it, I need something on him, to grab him up if I need to; If it's going to be a problem later, then yeah, I might consider taking it off.

But when he's the only one in the pen, I don't see it an issue...

The other guy that was there said he's been going there for two years faithfully and his dog's had collars and choke chains...

Nikelodeon79; It's only a harness and a collar; The collar is one with a plastic buckle, there is no way that's going to hold for too much longer, So he wears that for his dog tags, and wears the harness to keep him from breaking lose.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nikelodeon79; It's only a harness and a collar; The collar is one with a plastic buckle, there is no way that's going to hold for too much longer, So he wears that for his dog tags, and wears the harness to keep him from breaking lose.
Actually, the trainer that teaches Luna's puppy class was just talking about why you'd use a collar and a harness (collar for the dog tags) so I wasn't questioning your use of both. ;)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nickelodeon79: I see, I noticed how someone wanted to "discuss" the differences/pros/cons of using harnesses and collars at a dog park, and I just didn't want this to turn into a rant-fest of why I shouldn't use a collar/harness at the dog park...

I understand many people take their dogs appendages off before they play, but it was is his first visit, and being that we were the only ones there in the small dog pen I thought nothing else of it... And it actually did help, because when him and a dog in the neighboring large pen starting growling and snapping I was able to pull him back with his harness without fighting with him, without getting in the way, and without hurting him...

When I take him over to my father's house I always let him run around without anything on, my father has a very wooded and vegetated backyard and it's easy for him to get out of sight and if he does I don't want him getting stuck or hung up on bushes...

I've put his dog tags on his harness before, but they're not really noticeable there and they get in the way... It's a lot of crap for a dog to wear, so every time we come home that's the first thing I do is make him comfortable again, but he's used to it by now, he doesn't even bat an eye at it anymore...

Speaking of, we'll be going to the dog park again tomorrow, weather/time permitting.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nickelodeon79: I see, I noticed how someone wanted to "discuss" the differences/pros/cons of using harnesses and collars at a dog park, and I just didn't want this to turn into a rant-fest of why I shouldn't use a collar/harness at the dog park...
Agreed. ;) that's why I pointed out that your pup was the only one in there!

I really did enjoy the pics... make sure to post more from the next visit!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Aw your dog park has cool little jumpy things and stuff!
Ours has trees and a zillion tennis balls. I wish ours was as cool as yours.

Donatello is super cute. I never realized from your other pictures that his legs were so long!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aw your dog park has cool little jumpy things and stuff!
Ours has trees and a zillion tennis balls. I wish ours was as cool as yours.

Donatello is super cute. I never realized from your other pictures that his legs were so long!
Oh yes, those "jumpy things" are neat, and I tried for about fifteen minutes to get Donatello to jump over one, and the little goober kept cheating! He'd walk around to the other side then turn and look at me as if to say, "Like this?" I'd even step over it, and he's still walk around it then stand and look up, "This is a piece of cake!" lol!

You like many others have said the same thing! lol! He's all legs and muscle; He's got muscle like you wouldn't believe, hard as a Pit Bull almost! : P Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration...

Like I keep saying, I think he's got some Italian Greyhound in him somewhere; Watching this dog run is absolutely amazing, and that video I posted up there, is nothing compared to what he can usually do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts