Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since Donatello and I hit that rough spat in our relationship, he doesn't want to eat, well- He doesn't want to eat around me... He'll sit beside me on the couch and take treats and nibbles, but he won't he his dog food.

I've had to leave him on the porch all afternoon yesterday with an egg in his dog food for him to eat.

He did this before, for almost a month, when I first adopted him... But he was getting better, he was eating twice a day, and now he'll barely eat once.

Could it be being stressed out? There's nothing medically wrong with him that's causing this.

I boiled a chicken thigh today, and cut it up, with a few slices of deli ham, he ate all the ham and the chicken, and possibly a few bites of his dog food.

I can't stick him out in on the porch today, it's too cold and it's snowing... That's mean! lol!

How normal is this?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Why does he have to be on the back porch in the cold to eat? Why can't his bowl be set up inside somewhere?

With a fearful/timid dog there are often setbacks. It is important to build his confidence with reward based training methods and never using a harsh tone or corrections with him.

As far as the food, I'd move the food to inside the house and leave it down for a while. He won't starve to death voluntarily and he will eat when he's hungry.

Best wishes and remember that patience is your only hope with a timid dog.

Hugs to Donatello! He's super cute! :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think sometimes we worry too much about our dogs' eating habits. I know a few dogs whose owners just worry themselves sick over how much they're eating, and the poor dogs just get more and more nervous, and they won't eat when they're nervous, and it turns into a vicious cycle.

Just put his food down and forget about it. He won't starve himself. If you want to train him to eat his food immediately, take it up after 20 minutes and don't feed him again until the next meal time. If you don't care when he eats, some small dogs do fine with free-feeding. But don't pressure him to eat, that will probably make him more nervous. He'll eat when he's hungry.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does he have to be on the back porch in the cold to eat? Why can't his bowl be set up inside somewhere?

With a fearful/timid dog there are often setbacks. It is important to build his confidence with reward based training methods and never using a harsh tone or corrections with him.

As far as the food, I'd move the food to inside the house and leave it down for a while. He won't starve to death voluntarily and he will eat when he's hungry.

Best wishes and remember that patience is your only hope with a timid dog.

Hugs to Donatello! He's super cute! :)
First of all, he has a food and water bowl set up inside; He refuses to go over and eat by himself... He refuses, when I get up and go over to them, usually he'll eat when I sit down, but the last couple days he'll just run back to the sofa. I know he's hungry, he just has to be, he'll sit and stare at me; I take him out, he'll pee and run around for a couple minutes, then come back inside and stare at me some more. He has food down 24/7 but he was still on an eating schedule twice a day where I would go and sit down next to the bowl and put take the food from the bowl and put it at his feet.

I've even made a separate food bowl and set it outside and he'll eat outside. It's not something I like to do! He won't eat anywhere else right now... He was doing really good and was eating in the house, but the last few days he's had a set-back apparently.

I think sometimes we worry too much about our dogs' eating habits. I know a few dogs whose owners just worry themselves sick over how much they're eating, and the poor dogs just get more and more nervous, and they won't eat when they're nervous, and it turns into a vicious cycle.

Just put his food down and forget about it. He won't starve himself. If you want to train him to eat his food immediately, take it up after 20 minutes and don't feed him again until the next meal time. If you don't care when he eats, some small dogs do fine with free-feeding. But don't pressure him to eat, that will probably make him more nervous. He'll eat when he's hungry.
I know I'm probably over reacting and worrying too much, but he's very different and acting quite difficult. -.-

Thank you all for all your support and suggestions! It's not falling on deaf ears, I promise! : )

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
He's pretty small, right? How much does he weigh? I think that you might be overestimating his caloric needs. If he ate an entire chicken thigh AND some ham, that would be more than enough for such a little guy for an entire day. And he doesn't look too thin in that pic.....can you see his ribs? If not, don't worry.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is small, don't let the long legs fool you... The animal shelter weighed him at 15lbs, and that was with his ribs and spine poking through, so I'd say he's about 17-18lbs or so today.

I guess you're right, I'm just overestimating and worrying too much... When he spends the afternoon at my step-mother's and he's running and running and running so much, it makes me think he needs more food because of his metabolism...

Thanks again. : )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts