Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So I wasn't sure which thread exactly to post this, but I figured this was the best bet. This is going to be a little long, but please bear with me.

I have a one and a half year old Blue Heeler/Corgi mix female dog (Dixie) and a two and half year old English Bulldog (Thor). Neither are fixed. My husband and I have had Dixie since she was a pup, and we just got Thor about a week ago. His previous family was a military family and they were moving to Italy and couldn't take him with them, so they rehomed him. We were told he's had a few owners (for whatever reason), but he seemed happy to go with us.

When he met Dixie, they played and ran around a lot, they nibble each other, chase each other, sleep by each other, and overall just seem happy to be around each other. But lately, I've noticed Thor getting more dominant. He's started to try to hump Dixie more, which she doesn't like and she just kinda darts away when he does, or we scold him and he's good about stopping. He will sometimes snap at her if she goes for one of her toys then pick it up and walk across the room with it. He likes to follow me around the house, and always tries to jump up on the furniture with us (but we tell him no). Also, if I'm sitting on my laptop at the kitchen table, he's taken a liking to laying under the table at my feet. If I call Dixie over, when she gets close he gets up and stands sideways next to the chair, blocking the path to me, and snaps at Dixie if she gets close to me. This, particularly, is frustrating. I scold him when he snaps, and I've started telling him to "Go" if he lays under the table. It seems to me that he's asserting dominance, but I'm not entirely sure. The vet said he shows some signs of neglect and possibly abuse, so we're not really sure what exactly could be going on. But he's a sweet boy and loves attention (which he gets plenty of), but it's becoming a problem when I can't even give my other dog attention without him snapping at her.

Anyone have any ideas to help manage his behaviours? He is going to be my mother-in-law's (she's been out of town) and she plans on having him fixed not long after she gets back, but I'm worried this would still continue even after. We're only house-sitting, so Dixie won't be around all of the time, so if this is something that won't go away, we'll just keep the two separated as much as we can. Any help is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It's not dominance. Humping is a sign of over excitement/arousal and even a sign of play. I wouldn't scold him but I would definitely consistently tell him to leave her alone during those times, and reward heavily for engaging with her in other forms of play. I also hope at least one of your dogs are neutered/spayed!

As for the computer desk, he's guarding you. You will have to be proactive with your management there. Do not allow him to sit by your feet anymore. Get him his own bed or mat that he can lay on further away from you. If he charges/snaps at Dixie, teach him that he does not get any access to you by kicking him out of the room/area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
It's not dominance. Humping is a sign of over excitement/arousal and even a sign of play. I wouldn't scold him but I would definitely consistently tell him to leave her alone during those times, and reward heavily for engaging with her in other forms of play. I also hope at least one of your dogs are neutered/spayed!

As for the computer desk, he's guarding you. You will have to be proactive with your management there. Do not allow him to sit by your feet anymore. Get him his own bed or mat that he can lay on further away from you. If he charges/snaps at Dixie, teach him that he does not get any access to you by kicking him out of the room/area.

Good luck!
people don't actually know why dogs hump each other, it can be because of sexual excitement, a lot of times in text males will hump other dogs in the presence of a female in heat or an intact female in general. Are spayed female humps my intact male puppy all the time, & I know that people will say that I am wrong or that I am anthropomorphizing my dogs but I swear she does it to humiliate him lol

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
people don't actually know why dogs hump each other, it can be because of sexual excitement, a lot of times in text males will hump other dogs in the presence of a female in heat or an intact female in general. Are spayed female humps my intact male puppy all the time, & I know that people will say that I am wrong or that I am anthropomorphizing my dogs but I swear she does it to humiliate him lol
I know that that's why I said it could be anything from over excitement, to sexual arousal, to play. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

Meeko and Sara (old foster dog) used to take turns humping each other LOL honestly for them I am convinced it was play. Meeko also humps my friend's dog (a neutered male) and I think he does it to try to invite him to play aha

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There's a listicle on buzzfeed that's just 10 gifs of dogs humping things they shouldn't be, including dead deer, turtles, rabbits, chickens, etc. Some dogs will hump anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts