Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We will maybe be new owners of a small pup that we are dogsitting now.

Any thoughts on a labrador/german shepherd mixed breed or that we should be aware of?

The pup was bought from a breeder of both and has 12 siblings :)
Anything we should be aware from this type of dog.

P.S he is tooooo cute as a pup and quite smart and really listens

Thanks!

·
Banned
363 Posts
My two favorite breeds. King of the Dogs meets Man's Best Friend. Should be a great dog, just train him young & lots of exercise. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is that his picture in your avatar? He's adorable! Looks like a GSD. If you do get him, you'll probably have more specific questions and I'll help if I can. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep that's the rascal :). He seems to be really smart and calm for a pup

Thanks for the tips and help

·
Registered
472 Posts
He's a mix, so he's going to have his own traits. He may be more like a Lab, mor like a Shepherd, or neither.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We may end up keeping this 4 month old pup after all :)

How can we stop him from gnawing and biting our pants and somtimes trying to bit our legs / feet and hands :)

He doesn't do it all the time but it gets annoying when he tries to.

Any tips ?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"OWWUCH!!" then immediately turn your back to him. When he has calmed, give him something appro to chew on instead (bone, toy, ect) Then praise for chewing on the proper object.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Definitely try a loud "OUCH!" and then ignoring. I've heard some people say that you should even leave the room you're in and close the door behind you so your pup can't follow. He soon learns that if he bites too hard, he loses his playmate (temporarily, of course!)
If necessary, consider a bottle of bitter apple spray (available at pet stores). It's non-toxic, smells ok, but tastes really awful. Give your pants or legs a couple of quick squirts before play starts, and he'll get more than he bargained for when he bites. I had to use this stuff to stop my border collie from trying to herd (bite) my leg when we were bike riding. It only took a couple of tastes!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips !

I've got another question regarding the pups looks... :)

Since he is a mixed breed and given the picture of him , does anybody think that his ears will stay the same or rise like a GSD ears ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hello all,

Such a sad day today as we decided not to keep the 6 month old pup ( for different reasons ) that we were dogsitting for a friend. I hope his original owner decides to keep him and he is happy with them. He was so attached to my wife ...

I hope we haven't done him to much harm by moving him from one household to another like this throughout his 6 months.

Many thanks to all for your advice during this month long experience that we had him straight and on certain days before that.

Please reassure me that all will be ok with him and he won't be too depressed
I can't remember the last time I actually cried like this and my wife has been down and out :(

J and L

·
Registered
184 Posts
aw. i'd love to reassure you that all will be ok but you just don't know. maybe these people can update you if this pup gets adopted. it seems he has been with you enough to get a nice bond with you, so it will be tough for you and your wife. at one point, we weren't sure if we were going to keep our puppy so i know how hard it is to give them up. it makes me teary eyed thinking about it. i hope your wife cheers up eventually. maybe it will make her feel better if she can find out when/if the pup gets adopted. the mother of our puppy eventually got adopted after we were sure she'd be put down because she was very ill. but now she is so much better and in a loving home. stay positive, but just be careful in the future about bringing a puppy home for a long period of time for all parties involved. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for your response...
Actually my wife went to see him today and he seemed ok and was eating and pretty joyful , she got quite a welcoming :)

I never thought that such a bond can be made with a dog in a short amount of time from our part as we've learned so much and now see this an incredible life lesson and experience.

I think the hardest part is not knowing how he is doing and if it is as happy it was with us. Gosh i'm getting teary eyed just writing this thinking of the little things he was doing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Any thoughts on a labrador/german shepherd mixed breed or that we should be aware of?

The pup was bought from a breeder of both
Any reputable breeder would never have allowed any cross-breeding.

That said, I'm sorry you had to give the dog back. I've had to do that and I cried like a baby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts