Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is bear:

And this is moe: (when he was a little kitty!)

I always thought it was cute how much they loved each other. Moe the cat always thought Bear was momma bear. He would try to nurse on him and would constantly follow him around and cuddle! It was adorable! They had a very strong bond :) A while ago Bear became suddenly sick and was diagnosed with renal failure. We have no idea why, but presume he must have been born with it. (he was only 10 years old) His renal failure took him very fast and within days he was barely hanging on. Our cat Moe saw this and refused to leave his side the night he became at his worst. He stayed by him and cuddled next to him the WHOLE entire night. The next morning Bear started seizing... but it was Moe who ran to tell us. He ran up the stairs into my mom's room and started meowing and ran really fast back down the stairs to let us know something was wrong. She went to see what was wrong and that's when she found Bear. He became so ill we had to put him down shortly after. The day we had him put to sleep, my mom and grandma were carrying Bear out to the car when Moe tried to escape multiple times just to be with him. He didn't want to see Bear leave. It was very, very heartbreaking.

I was wondering if anyone else had any stories with dogs having an extreme bond with other dogs/animals! It would be really interesting to hear them :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Such a sweet story!

Abby (our dog) will share food with one of the cats. If Oliver (cat) comes around while the dogs are eating, Abby will calmly pick up a few pieces of food and put them next to her dish for Oliver to eat. :) They also love to cuddle.
Harper likes to cuddle with Oliver also. The other cat, Stella, does cuddle with the dogs in the evening, but Oliver seems to think he's a dog and is always playing and cuddling with the dogs/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww! That's so cute :)!
After Bear was gone we caught Moe dropping some of his cat food and then looking around for Bear to come eat it. Oh yes my cat thinks he is a dog too! (he loves dog food!) I think he is starting to second guess that now that we have a little puppy. My other dog (bear) was older and more mature and not so crazy with the cat. Now the puppy loves to chase them and wants to play and they just look at me like "omg! she is gonna eat me!"" when she 5x smaller than them! haha! :D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That is so sweet!
Caeda and Hemi spent a fair amount of time as "frenimies", both interested in the other, but Caeda's prey drive would kick in every time Hemi got close, even if it was when Caeda was sleeping, she would wake up if Hemi got close and be too rough, and we had to break it up. After a fair bit of work on our parts, Caeda maturing and Hemi learning that running gets her chased (which Hemi still does occasionally, but only when she is in her hyper play mode), a bond has started to form
The regular scene I see when my alarm clock is Caeda at the foot of the bed, with her head on my leg, Hemi licking Caeda's nose and eye spots (and occasionally "eye boogers"), then Caeda noses back. They do this occasionally during the day too (increasing amounts actually). I have to try to get some vid of this, it is so cute, but every time they start doing it if I grab the camera they both move to see what I'm doing. We've caught them cuddling several times on the bed and the couch. If Hemi gets outside while we are walking Caeda she will follow us....which we're trying to stop since now we go further away and by the highway.

They play together too, some chase games, even into and out of the bathtub! Caeda has gotten fantastic at knowing when to stop. Sometimes Caeda even mouths Hemi's head (scares me half to death!), but when the Hemi meows she stops.

Not quite as nice as your story aurore, but there is a bond growing every day, Caeda is just over a year old and Hemi is three. They're likely to get closer as time goes on. I love watching it!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a large GSD mix, Mick, who our littlest cat loved. She would jump in when the dogs were roughhousing and I would have to grab her fearing for her well being. When the dogs had quieted down she would curl up on Mick's big paws and sleep. It was so cute. Mick went to work at a riding stable with me each day and guarded the tack when we went to shows. He came to think of my show horse as his and would always go find him in his stall to hang out with him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts