Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! First of all just wanted to say hello because I am new to the forums! Not sure how much posting I will be doing but I will for sure be browsing a lot!

First of all, I love animals, especially dogs. Being 17 years old I have taken care of dogs all my life, and been through some rough experiences like one of my dogs dying from a rattle snake bite, and another one dying from cancer.

Anyhow, currently I have two pomeranians! I have never had a big dog before so I don't have much experience with them. I have always grown up with tiny dogs and been interested in them!

I am a senior in High School, and my life seems to be passing right before my eyes! I'm not sure what I want to do with my life but I am doing a whole 4-5 week research paper on being a veternarian.

I just had a quick question about this, does anyone have any experience in being a vet or have any advice on them? I have a huge passion for animals, but at the same time I realize that not all situations are nice and cuddly and at some point I am going to have to do surgery or put down an animal.

Thanks everyone, take care!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

We love pictures ;)

If you want to get in to the field of being a vet or working with animals. Id suggest maybe start by voluntering at your local humne socity/rescue/pound.

Or if you want to look in to other fields of animls. Maybe grooming, try contacting a local groomer, and asking if you can come in to volunteer a few imes. Explain you are HS student, trying to figure out what you want o be. Most groomers would LOVE a extra (free) hand to help them out once or twice a week for a few hours.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I suggest you try to get a job interning at a Vet Clinic in your area. Our vets will also have people ride with them and see the large animal side of the practice.

You have to have top grades to get into vet school... better than to get into med school. The reason is simple math. There are fewer vet schools than applicants and fewer vet schools than there are med schools.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hi Josh,

Your professional aspirations sound wonderful. Becoming a vet is very hard and takes someone who is dedicated to getting the best grades possible and doing a lot of internships, volunteering at vets offices, etc.

Here is probably the best source to start you out http://www.avma.org/ The AVMA is the American Veterinary Medical Association and this site has tons of information for aspiring vets.

I also suggest you go and speak to your local vet(s). Ask them where they went to school, what it was like, and if they have a day where you can shadow them. I know at my hometown vets office once a month they have a day where highschool students can come in and shadow the vet and even look in on a surgery. It is a great way to see if your cut out for that field.

You will also want to start thinking about what your undergrad major will be. Most pre-vets are Biology majors but you don't necessarily have to be one to get into grad school. I highly suggest that you don't declare your major until you have at least taken the a few minor classes in the major (for bio that would be Bio1 and Bio2) so you know if you are interested in that major or not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi there!

Being someone who at one point wanted to be a vet as well, but has since changed her mind...my advice to you is to get some real hands-on exposure to life behind the scenes in a vet hospital. Some clinics will allow you to do "shadowing," though many are very busy and prefer not to do this. Some may have boarding kennels where you can work taking care of dogs and doing cleaning, which isn't exactly the same hospital atmosphere, but it's a foot in the door. And if you do well, often times you can sit down and talk with the doctors, and explain to them your interest in the medical aspect. They'll probably be more than happy to let you sit in on a surgery or help hold animals during exams. Which leads me to the next possibility for you right now... Look for a job as a veterinarian's assistant. You'll do things like hold animals during exams for doctors, assist in blood draws, administering meds and vaccines, maybe IV fluids, taking x-rays, etc... You'll also learn about the pharmaceutical side, preparing medication, determining dosages, setting up vaccines, etc..

I worked at the hospital I take my own pets to for about 7mo last year. I was a receptionist and assistant. I cannot tell you how excited I was to be there, however....I think this particular facility was a bad egg. The rest of the staff wasn't as happy to be there and our boss, the head vet (it was a 4 doctor practice, with 2 who owned it together), was just a nightmare. It really soured me on the veterinary field and though I've since decided I want to go a different route in life, I do feel that had I been working in a better run practice, I would still be there today and loving my job.

So definitely, should you land in a situation similar to mine, don't let things discourage you if it's what you truly want to do. It'll probably be hectic and crazy and sometimes you'll want to pull your hair out, but it really is an extremely interesting job. Despite the sad times when animals come in to be euthanized (and certain ones you will become somewhat attached to, as you will their owners as well), when you have a dog or cat that is very sick and you get to see him leave happy and healthy, it's very rewarding.

I'd try as hard as I could to specifically get some experience working at a hospital or clinic, but if that doesn't appear possible, the next best thing is getting as much experience with all types of animals; dogs, cats, horses, birds, small pets, etc.... Look for doggie daycares, volunteer with a rescue or humane society, apply at a pet store, a grooming salon.... You get the idea. :)

Good luck! It's a LOT of school, but definitely worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much everyone! I have read over your replies and I think shadowing at my local animal clinic could do me some good!

Thanks everybody! This also puts me a step ahead in my research paper and if I am lucky I will be able to get an interview with the vet! :D

Going to a LOT of school is not the problem for me, it's more of being able to afford it all! :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts