Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fun debate about what dog you associate with the United states..

Back in the early 1900's it was the Pitbull, this dog was also used to represent ww1 and ww2 and was a common house hold pet until about the 1980's, Its ashame how these amazing animals are now considered by most people as violent and mindless....

As of right now I think the lab has taken over as a dog I associate with the US...

How about you?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Maybe it's a generational thing, but the all-American dog breeds are Collies and German Shepherd Dogs. Ya see, Lassie and Rin Tin Tin made an indelible impression on my mushy little brain.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Sadly I think it will be the designer mixes soon. As fast as they are coming up with breed mixes I fear we will lose some of the other pure bred dogs. I agree that Golden's and Labs are right now at an all time high. I hope that doesn't mean they will be the next on the breed ban lists. :( Too much of a good thing always ends up being a bad thing. Like in the case of Pit bulls. German Shepherds, Rottweiler's, Doberman's, Bloodhounds. They all got popular and ended up with a bad name for their breeds.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Labs still rep England for me for some reason :D.......When I think of a Little house w/a white picket fence in Middle of No where America....I always see a golden in the front yard:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know pit bulls have this undeserved reputation now, however when I think of the true American dog, I always think of a pit bull with an American flag bandanna around its neck;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would say a mutt. Ya know that stereotypical black and tan medium sized dog that no one really knows what it might be? That says America to me. Especially when it came from a not so good background, shelter, etc. and ends up in a house with a picket fence and a couple little kids to adore it... But I have a thing for mutts.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What's up with the "Designer Breeds" or whatever their called?? Do they really know yet for example a Labradoodle, if they will get more Poodle or Lab in the mix?? I'm curious to know. I think ALL dogs are loveable anyway. Those breeds, Purebreds, or just mutts. The Lab has always been a favourite I think it's the Marley book and movie that got the Lab even more interest again:)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I think of some of the breeds that originated in the US, like the Boston Terrier and Australian Shepherd =D

Whenever I think Lab, I can't help but think of Canada XD

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
American Pit Bull Terriers have been common household pets to date, not up until the 80s. During the 80s they actually saw a huge public interest and popularity started booming.

I don't think I really associate any breed with the US.

Although American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffodshire Terrier and American Bulldog all have American in there so maybe some could make the association. I could also think of the Catahoula when I think America.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Boston Terrier was my first thought.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Boston Terriers...they're an American Breed...

Speaking of origins...many folks think greyhounds camed from Ancient Egypt or the Middle East, but they're actually a Celtic breed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
American Pit Bull Terriers have been common household pets to date, not up until the 80s. During the 80s they actually saw a huge public interest and popularity started booming.

I don't think I really associate any breed with the US.

Although American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffodshire Terrier and American Bulldog all have American in there so maybe some could make the association. I could also think of the Catahoula when I think America.
The Catahoula Leopard dog is my state's "official" dog.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts