Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up.
Not really, but I'm nearly out of options!

I've mentioned this in various other threads before, but I cannot find the right chew for Soro. I've tried EVERYTHING.

Edibles:
-raw bones, smoked bones, nylabone edibles, himilayan chews, rawhide, pig ears, bully sticks, marrow bones, sweet potato etc...

Non edibles:
-grooved rubber toys, plastic nylabones, antlers, Hartz dental thingummies....

NO edible chew has lasted more than 30 minutes. No matter how hard, he finds a way to crack it apart. Soro is not a 'gnawing' sort of dog. And most of these edible chews have resulted in diarrhea.

NO non edible chew has been able to hold his attention for more than a day or two. I scatter them, rotate them, boil them in chicken stock to try to infuse more flavor into them, praise him for chewing them...

Is there anything else I should be trying??? Or am I doomed to just brushing his teeth every day?

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
If he doesn't turn to chewing things that he shouldn't be chewing, then I wouldn't bother searching for that elusive perfect chew toy/treat. It sounds like a futile exercise.
You could brush his teeth or maybe use one of those dental additives for his water (note that I have no idea if the additives actually work or not).
I can only think of two "maybe" suggestions- playing tug and fetch with one of the braided ropes which gives a small rubbing to his teeth and trying raw knuckle bones which have a lot of cartilage on them and have a shape that is not conducive to biting right into. Might still upset the tummy though.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shell!
Knuckle bones were the absolute best for his teeth when I used to give them to him. But his stool would be watery for a day. I tried giving him smaller bones, more bones, less bones... But when flecks of bloods started coming through I thought it was enough.

The tug rope idea is a good one. He loves chewing through those braids... Maybe I can buy a whole bunch of fabric from a scrap store and make my own rag-rope for him to destroy regularly. Or the other option is just buying him a small tug rope to chew on regularly. He LOVES tug so this might work!

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Try a farm store like Tractor Supply for some heavy cotton rope which is pretty cheap when bought by the foot.

·
Registered
731 Posts
A car door? Haha.

I'm with Shell, a hardware store by me sells some pretty cheap cotton rope by the yard that would make for sturdy play once you braid it and tie it off.

I dunno if there is a elusive perfect chew for him since his tummy is upset easily. With my Mastiff, it was usually large raw bones and knuckles that worked for a few hours, but he had tummy of steel with those.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Have you looked into "Mighty Dog Toys" https://www.vipproducts.com/retail/files/index.php/categories/view/217/mighty-dog-toys
Not sure how good they would be for helping teeth to get clean, but we have one for Caeda (a penguin) and she LOVES it, and it seems really durable. They might have something in their product line that would help.
I can say don't try the "Tire biter" products. Maybe they are good for some dogs, but the lady at the pet store said they are great for hard chewers. Huh....Caeda started getting chunks off in about an hour! Maybe it was the particular one we got, but it certainly didn't stand up.
Is yours destroying Kongs? Oddly enough Caeda doesn't seem to even try, so I can't tell if they are any more rugged than anything else, though they seem to be so far.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What kind of raw bones have you tried? If you're looking for something to keep his teeth clean (as opposed to keeping him busy) I would suggest turkey or pork necks (most food stores sell the pork neck cut up, but you can usually ask to order you whole necks) or pork shoulders.

Chicken backs/frames and pig's feet should work as well. However, they're usually not as large as the necks&shoulder, making them easier to gulp down if the dog isn't a good chewer. I'd be careful with those unless you knew your dog wouldn't try to swallow them whole.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Do you have a holistic pet food store near you? I have found that the owners of these stores are quite knowledgeable and may be able to help you find something.

Along the lines of rope toys... I know there are a couple different brands of "flossies" rope toys that are designed specifically to help clean teeth. Also, don't despair! I haven't found a chew that lasts more than 30 minutes and that they won't get bored with either. I still feed bully sticks though, even though I find them expensive.

I wonder if there is a supplement you can add to his diet that might make his stomach a little less sensitive?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts