Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Australian Shepherd.
Border Collie. (My friend's got a mix; we just went hiking with him. The dog is very reliable off-leash and seemed to love swimming, walking and camping with us.)
Finnish Lapphund.

I've got one. She's reliable, sociable, friendly, and does great on off-leash forest walks. I settled on the breed for similar reasons (I wanted a friendly, healthy dog I could go camping with)
Lapponian herder

Icelandic Sheepdog.

Or any other type of collie and most herding breeds, as they tend to be active and cooperative, and don't have a high prey drive. My sister's smooth collies did great on off-leash hikes as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why not a red standard poodle?

Originally bred for hunting in Germany they are intelligent obedient and their short curls are actually meant to keep shrubbery off of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aussies or Border Collies. I think most of the herding group are good off leash.
I've got an Aussie pup with a pretty darn good recall, I haven't finished digging her a dog fence yet but other than a couple forays into the neighbors yard (during the witching hour usually) she has stayed rather proximal to me/what she can infer to be her boundary thus far. Tough to tell how much of that is age and how much is breed but we're off to a good start.

They come in red-tri and red merle too.. Like the rest of herding class they are high energy, brainiac, nutters who need a ton of attention though.

and yeah most of herding group will want to stick to you and await the next order/keep your family flock together (unless it's bred for working away/alone as a 'living fence'). Retrievers are probably serviceable but I would avoid hounds with their high prey drive.

Ps. you might want to do some 'shaping' to encourage staying close/attentive. Take a portion of their rations and just dole it out all day for hanging out nearby and being chill.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Border Collies are well known for being velcro dogs. And you can get them in red and white (and even short-coated if you wanted) if you're really into the red thing (I admit I want a red and white BC SO BAD). An adult BC might be the best bet as you'd know if they have a more fearful temperament. Outside of that, getting one from a breeder who has good solid dogs temperament wise would be the way I'd go.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts