Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would eventually like to move my 80 lb Belgian Malinois mix off of large breed kibble (which is larger), because she has thrown up several times over the year we have had her, and it has always had large undigested, unchewed kibble in it. I've never seen her vomit small kibble (she has had some small kibble so far), so that is my long term plan is to move her to a smaller, ALS kibble. I found one that I liked (Canidae multiprotein ALS), but she evidently doesn't like it. She often refuses to eat that, even if i put a bit of canned food at the bottom of the bowl. Strange for me, as I've never had a dog refuse to eat before--even she has quickly eaten every food I've put down but this one.

So my question: if she already doesn't like the way one type of Canidae tastes or smells, does this mean that she won't like any of their foods? Or is she just as likely to like another variety of Canidae, as much as the other foods that she has greedily scarfed down? I'll stop buying this particular version of Canidae (multiprotein ALS), but should I just switch brands? If a dog decides it doesn't like a given food, does that mean it probably won't like any food from the same company?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm tired of getting her to eat this stuff, and I've decided to move on to another food. I'm hoping that owners of dogs who were picky eaters, can tell me of their experience so I can move in a direction that will be more likely to be successful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dog will either barely like or love a food. The problem is, his preferences do not last forever. I researched pet foods again recently, and chose one I like - and the reviews were full of other people whose dogs loved the food. If the dog doesn't like a food, he also doesn't like others made under that brand name.

What I do is feed my dog at 2 specific times of day (8 a.m. and 6 p.m.). He is used to this schedule. I leave the food down for 15 minutes and then take it up until the next meal. The vast majority of the time, he starts eating within the 15 minutes. We have been doing this for years.

My adult daughter is living with me, and she takes care of the dog now because I am being treated for cancer. She leaves the food out all day. He usually eats it at dinnertime, and she puts his supper in with his breakfast. The dog is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, and apparently this is a relatively common eating pattern for the breed.

My dog has been losing weight lately, which is a good thing. Sometimes I mix a teaspoon of Kraft parmesan cheese into his food. He likes it better that way. He gets one cup of food for each meal. About once a week, my energy level permitting, I mix in a scrambled egg and that's when he eats his kibble immediately. I used Eggland's Best Eggs because I verified with the company that they vaccinate their hens three times for salmonella before they sell the eggs. I am super picky about everything that has to do with my dog.

I discovered that he likes small breed kibble. He is large for his breed, and is 10.5 years old. This small kibble preference began years ago.

No well cared for dog I have ever known will starve to death when there is food available.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been mixing in some canned food, but I do not want that to be a long term solution, so I've finally eliminated that. Given how her eating pattern was in the past, I think that if we can get her back to how it was, I wouldn't have to pay for the canned food and dish that out every meal.

It is just frustrating for me--before she took some antibiotics (she was finished with them by mid June), she would scarf down whatever was put down, as soon as it was put down. I actually had to buy a 12 cup muffin tin/pan for her to eat from, to slow her down.

·
Banned
166 Posts
i been experimenting with mixing dry with wet to create a moist product, even throw in some filler to make the more expensive ingredients last longer...

The above concoction definitely works more better than feeding dry food alone but i find what works much more better is if i eat my dinner first while my boy bosco watches, it seems to help it build up a more better appetite. Mind over matter...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hate that I am saying this because I hate that it's true, but... I tried a lot of "premium" kibble only to find that the only thing my pup won't throw up or bloody diarrhea out, is.... purina puppy chow. I guess you don't always get what you pay for.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey if my dog was in that position I'd stick with that food as well.

I hate that I am saying this because I hate that it's true, but... I tried a lot of "premium" kibble only to find that the only thing my pup won't throw up or bloody diarrhea out, is.... purina puppy chow. I guess you don't always get what you pay for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PIcky eaters you say?

Our #4, 5 pound male Chihuahua, died just recently at almost 17 years.

His first mom cooked for him. Not Hamburger, Ground Chuck. rice, carrots, green beans and probably one or two ingredients I am not remembering. That was his diet thru year 5 of his life. His first dat died, then his mom died

By prior agreement, he came to us with the condition that if he could fit in here with our small dog he would have a home for life. If not, he would go to breed rescue. Did you follow all that?

My wife continued his home cooked diet for about 6 months. Our plan from the start was that he would switch to commercial dog food (Nutro) Gradually, less home cooked with a bit of Nutro. Less and less Ground Chuck Special and one day Nutro, straight.

Ooops, I almost forgot, Dino had Mom #1 trained so well that she put a small amount of grated cheddar on top. Without the cheese, no eats.

Back to our house and the Nutro. Dino went on a three day hunger strike in protest. No Sale doggie. Facing starvation he ate the Nutro and before long gobbled it right up.

Smiling, with a dollop of sad and tears in my eyes. Dino was a mommas boy, both his momś #1 and #2. I don´t mind.

So, my advice, point your browser at the Nutro website and make a selection.

Luck,
Uncle Foster

1 - 7 of 7 Posts