Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do if you were aware of a dog in your neighbourhood that had no warm and dry bedding, only a frozen water dish, and was left outside all day? A friend in another city called AC on her neighbour, but AC did not think they should respond. I wonder if I would go buy a plugin dog dish and some bales of straw to drop off for the animal. It is -35C/-31F here.

·
Registered
647 Posts
What breed of dog is this?

And I'd say talk to the owner.

My dog is outside when I'm at work. He's also outside most of the times during the night. I mean I fought with Dex for 4 hours yesterday. I didn't want him to be too cold (it was around -50) and wanted him to sleep inside in the warmth. He just wanted nothing to do with it and he was more than glad to just go sleep in the snow. He's just happier this way.

Depending on the breed and the dog's preference, it may not be negligence at all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What kind of breed is it? Is it suitable for this kind of weather? If not I'd call AC right away. Otherwise I would talk to the owner/leave a note offering to provide these things you mention. Maybe they'll "wake up" and do it themselves. If not, then I guess it's a judgment call. Does the dog appear miserable? Barking, whining?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sasha1/2 and Zoopie ,

Where are you that it is -50F and -31F ?

oldhounddog
Province of Quebec, 53rd parallel, near the James Bay. It gets cold. A lot. My dog spent his puppyhood near the northern limit of the province (in the deep Nunavut you could say) and he's perfectly adapted to it. He's glad to be inside when I'm home (which is very often...not a great town for social life) and to keep me company when I do stuff, but as soon as I go to bed or go to work, he'd just much rather be outside, however cold it is.

I had built him a nice house, heated and comfy. He never even wanted to set a single paw in it. He'd much rather dig a hole, cover himself with snow and sleep away. I really don't consider this negligence.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We have a dog next door, not allowed in the house, The owners drives us all nuts! He is a good dog, or would be for someone that would take care of him. But thats not the pt. It got cold here, got dumped with 2 ft of snow in one day! then we had an Ice storm. They did put him in a shed, not sure if it is heated or not, but at least he is out of the elements. He is not made for this weather, short coat, and his legs hurt, you can see that, and I know how the cold affects my joints. We have called the AC on them, a few times, but since he has shelter, water and food, they wont do anything.

I really dont know what the answer is, If someone does- I wish they would let it be known. Very sad for the dogs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Zoopie ,

All I can say is , wow , that is some serious cold weather. It gets cold here in the north Ga. mountains (US) from time to time but is short lived and usually not below 0F. Sometimes very windy, but , nothing like you have. Sounds like you take very good care of Dex.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
288 Posts
In these cases, contact Dogs Deserve Better. Google it, I'm on a iPod right now. They specialize in this.
Thanks for posting about this group. We don't have cases like they describe here much, but it's good to know just in case. Plus, if I ever have money to spare, I know where to donate it :).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Zoopie ,

All I can say is , wow , that is some serious cold weather. It gets cold here in the north Ga. mountains (US) from time to time but is short lived and usually not below 0F. Sometimes very windy, but , nothing like you have. Sounds like you take very good care of Dex.

Best , oldhounddog
I get many "I'll call AC on you" jokes, but they are mostly said with a lot of laughter and mentions about how I spend too much time playing with my dog outside (if they think he needs a break once in a while, it's because they don't see him hyper in the house!).

Seriously, before calling AC or any other group, I'd make sure it is indeed negligence (how is he acting when he's outside?) and maybe randomly chat with the owner without making any accusations.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Seriously, before calling AC or any other group, I'd make sure it is indeed negligence (how is he acting when he's outside?) and maybe randomly chat with the owner without making any accusations.
This is probably the best first step and would give insight as to the most productive way to proceed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After numerous calls, my friend says the dog was removed by AC.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
We use to have a couple of wolf/malamute mixes growing up that stayed outside 24/7 all year round. It wasn't that we were neglectful or cruel to them, but rather they preferred being outside in the cold.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
People up the road from us have a lab mix that is outside all day, every day, when they're at work. It doesn't matter how hot or cold, dog is out. I called AC and there is nothing they can do because he has access to a dog house (dogloo thing) even though he won't use it and they leave their garage door half open, so he can go in there. I think that stinks but they aren't breaking the law. The dog IS inside as soon as they come home from work but I cringe when I see him outside on my way to work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts