Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation here, that I would like to have opinions, or ideas to help my dog that I've been fostering now for the last 5 months. She is a great dog, and loves attention, belly rubs, etc.... But my situation is this:

When I first got her, she was somewhat fearfull of all kinds of noise, like buses, doesnt' like going near heavy machinery (construction,etc) but she's gotten better, but still doesn't like the machinery so I keep her away from all that. But when it comes to playing with her, she's not one to want to play????? I throw balls and sticks for her to fetch, and she won't. I've tried hiding and getting her to find me, but that only worked once. When we are out at the park, I'll run and she'll run after me, but that only lasts for a short while as she doesn't want too, or i run out of breath lol. I've tried to play with her and her toys, and she couldn't care less, the ODD time she'll play with me and do her snort sounds, and nible on the hand etc....but she really isn't playfull at all. I'm begining to think that perhaps they never played with her, or gave her much attention as all she wants is to be loved and petted. I can't always be petting her, so I wonder if she gets bored? Any ideas of what I can try to get her playing? She is 3 1/2 years old, and i've only had her 5 months now.......I don't find it normal for her to not want to play.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Most dogs have to be taught how to play. Fetch isn't something that comes naturally...most dogs will either snatch it and run, play keep away or show no interest at all. Same with toys, some dogs don't care for them.

That's why Agility, Flyball, Frisbee, Rally, Tracking and the other dog sports are so popular....the dogs love them.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster came home at 9 1/2 weeks and really didnt show too much interest in toys. We kept playing with him with the toys, dragging toys along the floor just in front of him to catch his interest. Now at 5 months, he seeks out his toys...his favorite is by far a green lion by Zanies that we got at the vet (free toy with purchase of Frontline..needed that anyway) a couple months ago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been continuous and trying to get her to fetch it, and all she does is look at me and then walks away. I've tried to get her to play, but she shows no interest at all. I've also taken her toys and try to play with her, and all she'll do is lay down meaning leave me alone.......sheesh.....I wish she was playfull. Maybe they never played with her where she was staying....she is a breeder, and i'm fostering one of her dogs.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I had a dog who never really played much. She didn't fetch, she wouldn't rough house or anything, and I had her from a pup. Some dogs just don't like to.

Butch will do just about anything so long as he is getting attention. Roxxy, not so much. She'll fetch her toys in the house but for very short periods of time. Nothing outside, period. She'll play tug o war or hide and seek, but again, for very short periods. I got her at age 1 and have no idea what her life was like before that. She has touching issues so I don't push her to do anything doesn't want to.

Your foster may be one of those dogs who doesn't have any interest in play. I wouldn't force it on her.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My Chi doesn't play. Once in a while if I stomp around, she'll sit on her hind feet and wave her paws at me exitedly, but as soon as I touch her it's over.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I don't know that fetch necessarily has to be taught to some dogs. Some dogs (specifically field dogs) are born and bred to retrieve. Fetch is kind of programmed into their genome. That being said, I like to repeat a friend of mine who says that all dogs have their own personality just like people do. There are some people who love nothing more than spending an evening at the arcade or running around a basketball court. Other's just want to crash in front of a tv or with a good book. Some people won't sit in front of a TV unless they're playing video games. Others have no interest in said video games.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before I took the dog, the one i'm fostering from told me that she wasn't use to going for walks. That she would just let them run in her fenced yard to do there business, so doesn't sound like they had much of the outdoors besides there back yard. She did have alot of dogs at one point, and that's why I was fostering a female that had just had puppies. When I play with the neighbour's dog and throw things where he fetches it, and brings it back. You can tell that she wants to do it too, but doesn't???? I guess I won't push it, and i'll continue giving her the lovin attention :D

Just wish she was a little playfull? hehe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts