Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two shichons. One male, one female. Both over two years old. We have to be diligent about taking the dogs out to potty because they never let us know they have to go out. Up until a month ago being diligent worked okay. Both dogs sleep in bed with me and my wife. The dogs have held their potty overnight until we take them outside in the AM. However, for some reason the routine has changed. Before we wake up, the male has gone poop in the house a few times and the female has peed. We always take them outside last thing before going to bed at night. Two questions. What can we do to train them not to potty in the house and what can we do to train them to let us know they need to go potty?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two shichons. One male, one female. Both over two years old. We have to be diligent about taking the dogs out to potty because they never let us know they have to go out. Up until a month ago being diligent worked okay. Both dogs sleep in bed with me and my wife. The dogs have held their potty overnight until we take them outside in the AM. However, for some reason the routine has changed. Before we wake up, the male has gone poop in the house a few times and the female has peed. We always take them outside last thing before going to bed at night. Two questions. What can we do to train them not to potty in the house and what can we do to train them to let us know they need to go potty?
If their eating and drinking habits have changed, it's possible that they no longer can wait. If necessary make adjustments with this... when it comes to training them to let you know when they need to go out, you could associate the act of going outside to go bathroom with barking or scratching or bringing you an object, meaning that you have them do this right before going outside, every time, to establish a routine. This will increase the likelihood that they will do this when they need to go out as well, if the association has been made well. ;)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Some dogs will tell you, some won't. Some dogs do tell you, but it's really subtle, like looking at the door. I'd suggest getting up earlier, or maybe even once in the night to take them out to go potty.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Has anything changed? Their eating/drinking habits? Or their routine? Or your routine? Your work schedule? Has their environment changed? It can be as simple as getting new furniture or re-arranging old furniture. Changes like this can cause setbacks in potty training.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts