Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New owner here for a year. I have a female Jack Russell Mix and my parents and I haven’t been raising her to be fully responsible earlier on and it’s had some effects.

I know Jack Russell’s can definitely be stubborn and hard-headed and we are currently in transition of not allowing her to act like she is one of us (i.e. - no more food begging (she gets sprayed with water), low and stern voice when she does something bad, no more getting on furniture, putting our bones in a bowl for her (raw or cooked), she sniffs for our food so we spray her for that, etc.). She’s 3 years old and spayed and honestly needs a lot of exercise and attention that we can’t always give to her (until now with this quarantine thing); anyway, my mom wants to get another dog later in the year but I was wondering what if we got a puppy (their age would be a couple of months that’s close to a year)? Is there anyway you can teach a female dog to pick up responsibility for caring for that puppy as their own kid?? Or would it be something instinctual over time? Even if my dog is spayed? Or would my dog be completely jealous or even aloof because that puppy had a bond to their mother...?

Last Question: What if we were to find a puppy that had no bond to their mother in the pound/rescue center? Would that give even more of a chance for those my dog and our new puppy to bond as family (mother and pup; or even “sister” and pup) more than “friends”?

I hope this makes sense! Thank you so much and God Bless ❤

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.