Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't it funny how if you try to put your dog outside for a potty break in the rain he will act as if you're trying to toss him over into the pits of Hell. However, if you show him a leash he will gladly run out into a catagory 4 hurricane. Go figure.... :p

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Muggsy would hold it for terrifyingly long periods of time to avoid getting rain on his face (i don't think he could really feel it anywhere else with all that fur). Kabota doesn't care at all. Not one bit. A 25 minute walk in the cold, driving rain is as pleasurable to him as a walk on sunny day.

What I always loved was that Muggsy was convinced that if we just left through a different door, there would be totally different weather out there. As if I owned some magical door to perpetual Spring, but chose only to use it every now and then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What I always loved was that Muggsy was convinced that if we just left through a different door, there would be totally different weather out there. As if I owned some magical door to perpetual Spring, but chose only to use it every now and then.
I love that!!!

My parents lab/pit bull mix could predict when a storm was approaching(she would usually give us a good 15-20 mins). She would pant and pace. Then would come the full body shaking, uncontrollable drooling, and the most velcro dog you've ever seen (to the point where she would trip us). Then when it finally started she would disappear to the same spot everytime where we would find her whimpering and shaking in a corner of a usually dark room. This got progressively worse as she got older and her double hip dysplasia worsened. Trying to get her to go outside in the rain..? forgettaboutit!

here she is! pepper! Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Canidae

·
Registered
497 Posts
My old dogs duke and midnight were ok about the rain. Winter now, she takes forever to get her out, and when she does she gives you the puppy eye look. Snow, well hasnt rained since we got her so we will see, if it ever diecides to snow or rain this winter ._.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I love it when it's rainy and windy and Butters' eyes gets all squinty as she tries to push against the wind kekeke..she doesn't mind it at all, though she has a nice thick double coat that keeps her warm :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Coco will not go out in the rain, even if it's just a drizzle. I'll open the back door to let her out into the backyard, and she'll just stand at the door, looking up at me like I'm crazy. She'll hold it until the rain stops.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Unless it's a torrential downpour, Luke doesn't care about the rain. He'll want to take a shortcut home, do a 10min walk instead of a 30min one (and I don't blame him there), but only when the rain is accompanied by thunder, will he puts the breaks on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Zoe noticeably sulks when I take her out to potty. She skins back her ears and looks at me like I'm the meanest person in the world. If I take her anywhere near mud, you can forget it, she sets the breaks. However, if I take her for a walk, she's slightly more agreeable, but you can tell she still wishes the rain to go away.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
My girls will stay out in the rain indefinitely . . . If I'm out there with them.

Seems fair, actually. I spent a lot of time in the rain outside in the middle of the night, in my pajamas, while training Molly. Esther went along to lend moral support and provide demonstrations about why we were there. It doesn't seem like we did that for very long before we were all sleeping through the night.

I used to walk my big lab in some pretty severe thunderstorms. In retrospect, it's amazing we weren't struck by lightening, since were we frequently walking in wide-open fiends with lightening all around us.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sadie dont mind a little drizzle now and then, downpour? shes funny wanting it off her face. I think that if it wasn't hitting her face, she wouldn't even feel it. Most times she doesn't mind the rain tho. Not sure about actually walking in the rain, I can't do that myself. Funny~~ used to love it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My two don't care about going out in any kind of weather. Rain, sleet, hail, snow, tornado etc. I broke them of that habit early on. Saint would plant all four feet in the ground burro style and refuse to move. So I would drag her out to the middle of the yard and stand there until she pottied. After she finished we'd make a mad dash back to the house which she saw as a reward for pottying outside.

Kaida unfortunately loves being outside no matter the weather. Which in the Summer is horrible for me because if its over 85 I really really don't want to be out there. I beg and plead with her to go potty during the hotter months. I feel like she's the one throwing me into the pits of Hell.lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
Spirit doesn't care, but it feels like SoCal weather is not real weather to her. I've yet to see he care about our 45 F winters or the occasion rains.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If it's just a potty break and it's raining Jubel will usually choose to hold it and I trust him to know if he HAS to go or can hold it. So far he's never let me down. If a walk is being offered he doesn't care what's going on outside he wants to go for a walk.

Recently when we do go for a walk in the rain though he's quick to poop and pee and happy to go back in after 10-20 minutes walking around the neighborhood. Then when we get inside he nicely complies with the toweling off process like a good boy, as soon as I release him he gets the zoomies. Back and forth across the living room, sometimes up and down the stairs too. It's hilarious...until he decides to jump on me so I'm part of the fun too as I'm still sitting on the landing with the wet towel. Encourages me to make sure I do an extra good job drying him off in the first place because I know he's going to end up in my lap shortly haha.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before I owned GD's I had GSD's and they couldn't care less about rain, sleet or snow. Well, now that I have the 3 GD's, who all swear the rain is like acid when it touches them, my others have gotten the same attitude.
Now I have 7 that give me the stink eye when it's potty time and raining outside.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kenda doesn't care about rain but steadfastly refuses to wear a raincoat, so she gets wet. I had a REALLY close call with lightning a few years ago, though. We don't go out in thunderstorms.

Edit: That pic at left where she's wearing a coat? I'll force the issue if we're going to be out all day in really cold temps. Otherwise, not worth it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Muggsy would hold it for terrifyingly long periods of time to avoid getting rain on his face (i don't think he could really feel it anywhere else with all that fur). Kabota doesn't care at all. Not one bit. A 25 minute walk in the cold, driving rain is as pleasurable to him as a walk on sunny day.

That is about the funniest thing I've read today. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts