Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I got out of the hammock, and my dog was having trouble getting out. I walked across the room to set down my book so I could help, and by the time I got 5 feet away, my other dog had awoken and they barked and snarled at each other for about 10 seconds. (But it felt like 30 to me!) The original dog jumped out of the hammock, and then the other one got partially in. The squabble was over, but I was left wondering what I could have done to avoid this.

My husband says I'm too sensitive to them, that they are dogs and like siblings, so they will argue now and then. I just don't like it.

Is he right? Am I being to sensitive? I guess my fear is that one day they will attack and hurt each other, or hurt someone else in the process of arguing.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am sure all dogs are different. My two ... Leeo and Blu Boy are littermate brothers. They only had one squabble in 5 and 1/2 years? I am not so sure they squabble like us humans .....

I do know there were/are times they get a little iffy about who gets attention from me first ... but never really squabble ... just throwing this out there ....

Could the dogs have been not totally awake and startled each other?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Dogs squabble. Sometimes it's petty. Sometimes it's serious.

Sometimes they let it go and move on, sometimes they become enemies.

Sounds like yours had a "snarkfest," which can be scary but isn't serious. I wouldn't worry. Snarking is normal. I'd give ANYTHING if my dogs would bother snarking at each other when perturbed! Mine go right to lock and load, which totally sucks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure all dogs are different. My two ... Leeo and Blu Boy are littermate brothers. They only had one squabble in 5 and 1/2 years? I am not so sure they squabble like us humans .....

I do know there were/are times they get a little iffy about who gets attention from me first ... but never really squabble ... just throwing this out there ....

Could the dogs have been not totally awake and startled each other?
Now that you mention it, Bob in the hammock did not know Sacha was up and awake....and she peeked over the hammock and he reacted. Then she snarked back. (there was no contact! I like 'snarkfest' better than quarrel.)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dogs squabble. Sometimes it's petty. Sometimes it's serious.

Sometimes they let it go and move on, sometimes they become enemies.

Sounds like yours had a "snarkfest," which can be scary but isn't serious. I wouldn't worry. Snarking is normal. I'd give ANYTHING if my dogs would bother snarking at each other when perturbed! Mine go right to lock and load, which totally sucks.
Well, they did sniff each other and then both go lay down in their separate beds. So they did let it go.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
squabbles happen. as long as its not serious(like a full of kill each other fight) then its perfectly normal with some dogs, but I tend to be very cavalier about these things lol

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Send some cavalier my way! I am more nervous...being new-ish to dogs. We had a family dog, but she was so easy!

squabbles happen. as long as its not serious(like a full of kill each other fight) then its perfectly normal with some dogs, but I tend to be very cavalier about these things lol

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
lol we could trade a little bit :p I drive some people crazy with how easy going I am about my dogs.. Happy took a shovel to the face..big deep gash under her eye..I cleaned it up and told she was an idiot for running under a shovel and maybe she shouldnt do that next time, and carried on with my day..she still has a scar lol. dog fighst dont phase me, a couple weeks ago I saw two pittie owners being morons and let their dogs "meet", they started fighting and the owners stood around doing nothing, so I just walked in, yanked the dogs out and handed them to their owners..the other people who saw it happen could not believe I did that or how fast I did it lol, but I am so used to dealing with dog fights because of Rusty, that I am like "whatever"

·
Banned
78 Posts
Im a serial multi dog owner in her 50's, ie. a fair few pairs of dogs under the bridge now.
What you describe is a warning shot accross the bows. This is the most common spat between dogs, looks and sound horrific, rarely is there any contact between them. This is how most dog disputes are sorted. But the disputes become less n less over time, as each learns their place in the family.
I interfere at this point, because of the bloody noise occasionally. But during the day, when i dont worry so much, i'll leave em to it.

Mine have had a few spats that have gone further recently, as our 8 month old pup takes a shot at the title of boss dog here. They have finally worked out their own system;
If its food, its Pohms
If its a ball/frisbee its Bernie's
If its a blanket, its Pohms
If its the spot at my feet, its bernie's

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wonderful story and experience....thank you for sharing it.

I've learned that when she's sleepy, it's more likely to happen, which was the case here. I'm working on that issue now.

But it's good to know that quarreling is normal. I don't like it- I actually get VERY unsettled and feel as if I've failed my animal companions. But now here I am still talking about it, and they're outside watching parrots fly overhead!

Im a serial multi dog owner in her 50's, ie. a fair few pairs of dogs under the bridge now.
What you describe is a warning shot accross the bows. This is the most common spat between dogs, looks and sound horrific, rarely is there any contact between them. This is how most dog disputes are sorted. But the disputes become less n less over time, as each learns their place in the family.
I interfere at this point, because of the bloody noise occasionally. But during the day, when i dont worry so much, i'll leave em to it.

Mine have had a few spats that have gone further recently, as our 8 month old pup takes a shot at the title of boss dog here. They have finally worked out their own system;
If its food, its Pohms
If its a ball/frisbee its Bernie's
If its a blanket, its Pohms
If its the spot at my feet, its bernie's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts