Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! This is a question my uncle sent me on Facebook:

"I have a problem and was wondering if you could give me some advice.? I'm staying at my niece's house with eight people and three dogs. A Pitt, Pitt mix, and a Pug. My problem is, said dogs tend to pee in the house. sometimes after being outside. They yell at them and do the typical thing, they shove there noses in it and smack them or something. I know that there is a better, kinder, more productive way."

My thought would be rewarding heavily for peeing outside, but I don't have experience with how to stop multiple dogs from peeing indoors, so I wanted to pick your wonderful brains for ideas. I'm very happy my uncle is reaching out about this; he doesn't have a ton of dog experience, but he still knows punishing the dogs is the wrong thing to do. Yay! I'm just hoping the rest of the people he is living with will be as open to +R as he is...

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
102 Posts
He has the right idea. I would suggest rotating the dogs' potty times and take out one dog at a time. Having all three go out may be too distracting for them - it's PLAY time instead of POTTY time. Also, having one misbehaving dog can lead to some of the others to regress to similar misbehaviour...

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
The yelling, nose shoving, and hitting will only make the dogs afraid of eliminating in front of the niece and others (and possibly afraid of them in general). It's also possible that they'll start to hide where they go so that no one notices until it reeks. There are a few things the niece can do to change the behavior:

- clean the area thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) or a vinegar and water solution to completely eliminate the odor
- supervise all dogs when in the house; this may mean using ex-pens, gates, and/or leashes
- as was said, take dogs out individually, on a regular schedule, and reward (with fabulous, high value treats) when they eliminate outside

Good luck to everyone!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts