Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, me and my fiance have a 1 year old male bull mastiff and an 8 month old female pit, the mastiff pees in his crate all the time, and when seeing the female piddle in the house he seems to think he can pee in the house himself, we take them out on a regular basis, and they come in and less than 5 or 10 mins later pee on the floor again, we have disciplined them, rubbed there noses in it and they still do it, the female is the main one that piddles in the house, so far today i have gotten the mastiff to stop, but we need help with the female, no matter how much we scold her or rub her nose in it she still does it, hell she piddles WHILE we are rubbing her nose in the first pee spot, its driving me and my fiance crazy, can anyone help us please.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
In my opinion;

Judging by what you're doing to her I'd say that you've instilled a decent amount of fear into her which is why she's peeing while you're scolding her. Scolding a dog for peeing will more often than not have a negative effect. And rubbing their nose in it does -nothing-. Punishing a dog for going potty only tells them that they aren't supposed to go potty.

When you take them outside to go potty always keep them moving. Don't let them stand there and stare into the distance. The motion usually helps them to go. When they do go outside - reward them heavily. Make a party out of it. Like it has been the absolute best thing -ever- that they have gone potty outside. Praise them, give them a treat - tell them good boy/girl, pet them..everything.

When they pee inside - it sucks. It really does. Just clean it up. Don't scold them - there is no point. Keep the dogs with you -at all times- don't let them leave your sight, ever. A dog will almost always give some kind of a sign that it has to potty (usually sniffing around before it has to)- it might be such a little sign though that you don't even notice it. If they're always around you within eyesight you'll better learn to pick up on the sign. If they begin to pee in the house pick them up if you can or do whatever you can to stop them (without scolding) and take them outside - when they finish going - again throw a party! Praise them, give them treats pet them! Show them how happy you are! They'll then associate going potty with being outside and you being happy with them going potty outside.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The scolding, and rubbing their noses in it is an outdated form of "potty training" and can do more harm than it's worth, depending on your dogs' personalities. Here's some info:
Even if you catch your dogs in the act, if you scold or rub their nose in it, all they know is: our human gets mad when he finds/sees us pee. So, they think peeing is wrong, or they need to do a better job at hiding it, so they don't make you angry. And, with the one, it seems to have scared her, so she will continue to pee while you're scolding.

This is just creating problems.

When you take your dogs out to do their business, do you watch to see if they pee or poop? Do you praise them if they pee/poop outside? Do you give them a treat if they pee/poop outside?
Some dogs get distracted when taken out to pee/poop, and may only do a little pee, and then hear or see something interesting, and stop to explore. Then, when we take them back in, they're like "oops, I kind of still have to go", so they pee again inside. Try staying out for a few extra minutes, even after they've peed outside.
Also, make sure you clean all messes with an enzymatic cleaner, not just regular cleaner. Dogs' noses are so much stronger than ours. Regular cleaners will leave enough of a smell for dogs to smell, just not us.

And, lastly, when you say your one dog pees in his crate all the time....what's his history? Did you get him from a breeder, or a rescue/shelter? It seems if he's always peeing in his crate, he either has some anxiety issues (very common for anxiety to cause dogs to pee in crates), or isn't taken out often enough, or could have a urinary tract infection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts