Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info on drugs used for dogs, specifically for any and all behavior issues, but drugs for medical purposes are fine too.

- What drug was it?
- What issues were you using it for?
- How long did you use it?
- How successful was it?
- Any notable negative side effects?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I will check at home because I can't remember, but I use a "doggie downer" for Roxxy's storm phobia. I wanted to answer this so I wouldn't forget to check and give you a "real" answer. :eek:

Butch says hi and that he hopes his crush is doing well. :D

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Thanks Alpha. I had a feeling you'd reply with something. Let me know whenever you get a chance.. Marge is okay right now, sleeping under the desk. Just doing some research in the event I speak to my vet about meds. I bet she'd like Butch too.. she's a sucker for the short guys. ;)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I don't have the original bottle! :( I'll call my vet tomorrow and ask. It's a sedative that given in smaller amounts really just makes her relaxed. She gets up and plays, etc., but when she is laying down, she will go to sleep. It's only given when a thunder storm is here because I have her "Wonder Woman" cape (Storm Defender).

I'm sure there are anit-anxiety meds that you could give Marge short term until you can get her back to where she was. It has to be so hard on her to be so afraid of everything all the time. Makes you wonder what her life was like before you, doesn't it. Roxxy is still a big puzzle after 3 years.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I use Valerian for myself, it works wonders. You could consider that. It comes in a root form, could be ground and added to some good stinky food.:)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I use Valerian for myself, it works wonders. You could consider that. It comes in a root form, could be ground and added to some good stinky food.:)
Where do you get Valerian? I would rather not give my dog drugs if there is an alternative to it. Roxxy has storm phobia and sometimes nothing else works but her doggie downers. Don't mean to hijack Miss M. :eek:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hijack away. Maybe this can be the meds/alternatives thread, just like the Fearful Dog Thread. :D

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Cracker is on Clomicalm (actually the human version..clomipramine hydrochloride) for SA. She is on a dosage of 2mg/kg.
It took about 3 weeks to take full effect (it can take up to 6 weeks). She has had no observable side effects aside from in the first couple of weeks being a bit "off". I take antidepressants in the winter months due to SAD and the first three to six weeks it feels like your head is a bit 'off to the side' or "floaty" so I'm assuming this is similar. Not sedated at all, just spacy. This is from the brain chemistry readjusting and goes away.

Just like any other brain chemistry drug this doesn't work for all dogs and often people have to try something else. The two most common drugs given for generalized anxiety are actually antidepressants of a sort, clomipramine and fluoxetine (prozac, known as Reconcile in the veterinary side). Many people stop giving it early on due to the "spacy"ness thinking their dog is sedated and not liking it..they haven't given it time to work nor worked on adjusting the dosage. This shortchanges their chances of success.

The only worrisome side effect mentioned in the literature for clomicalm is a possible increase in aggression, but it only occurs in 1-2 percent of the dogs so this is an important thing to keep in mind.

She has been on the meds for four months, 6 months minimum is the general starting point and it is meant to be used to alter the chemistry and therefore the anxiety to a point that the dog can learn new coping mechanisms. An extremely stressed or anxious dog cannot learn properly. After six months, combined with behavioural modification, the weaning off process begins and is gradual usually taking another couple of months to accomplish. Not all dogs CAN go off the meds, some have such severe brain chemistry issues that it is better to keep them on long term, but you don't know until you try the weaning off.
I would prefer Cracker not be on the meds, but if it turns out she returns to her previously anxious state I will continue with the meds long term. It's her quality of life that matters to me.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Awesome Cracker, hope all goes well.:)

You can get Valerian root at the Mexican stores mostly. They can be found with bags of spices, peppers, ect, in the clear bags with the paper labels... like these-

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Roxxy takes Acepromazine. It's more of a sedative but as I mentioned, given in smaller doses, it just keeps her calm. The lowest it comes in is 10 mg but I give her 1/4 when thunder is bad; 1/8 just to get her to settle down.

You would probably need something more in the line of what Cracker uses but for those thunder boomers or fireworks, it's a great thing to have on hand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rufus is on generic Prozac (as Cracker mentioned, fluoxetine) as well as generic Xanax (alprazolam) to help control his SA. He gets 20 milligrams of fluoxetine a day - ten in the morning and ten in the evening to keep the levels even. The alprazolam is given 1 hour prior to departure and only lasts about 4 hours I believe.

I started Rufus on meds after a few months of trying (and trying and trying) unsuccessfully to manage his SA. He was on fluoxetine for about 5 weeks before I noticed any improvement. He is doing much better, but had a pretty bad regression when I moved recently. I have no plans to take him off of the fluoxetine in the near future. I have mostly phased out the alprazolam though - I'm not convinced it ever did anything in the first place. He is a large dog (80+ pounds) so perhaps the dose of the alprazolam was too low.

There has been a reduction in the anxiety/destruction/defacation related to SA since starting the medications. This is mostly due to his ability to focus on the counter-conditioning techniques without being too anxious to think. I haven't noticed any major personality changes or side effects however. Perhaps he's a bit lazier around the house?

Cracker's post pretty much said it all. I'd prefer not to use any medication, but his mental health and safety is more important than any flack I might receive for medicating my dog.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Where do you get Valerian? I would rather not give my dog drugs if there is an alternative to it. Roxxy has storm phobia and sometimes nothing else works but her doggie downers. Don't mean to hijack Miss M. :eek:
Just remember - dogs are not subject to the placebo effect. ;)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Just remember - dogs are not subject to the placebo effect.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?

I have tried all other remedies out there (from pet stores) and melatonin (which does nothing) and have had no luck. I am willing to try something else other than drugs to see if it works. If not, I will continue to use the doggie downers for the severe panic (in the middle of the night when nothing calms her) and her "Wonder Woman Cape" (the Storm Defender cape) for times that I'm at home and can help her manage otherwise.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?

I have tried all other remedies out there (from pet stores) and melatonin (which does nothing) and have had no luck. I am willing to try something else other than drugs to see if it works. If not, I will continue to use the doggie downers for the severe panic (in the middle of the night when nothing calms her) and her "Wonder Woman Cape" (the Storm Defender cape) for times that I'm at home and can help her manage otherwise.
It is just an expression of my scepticism of value of herbal medicines.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Looking for some info on drugs used for dogs, specifically for any and all behavior issues, but drugs for medical purposes are fine too.

- What drug was it? Allie: fluoxetine 10mg for 3 months, then 20mg a day for awhile, then down to 10 for 3 weeks to wean her off; Nash: fluoxetine started at 10mg, now up to 20mg a day
- What issues were you using it for? Allie: General anxiety, she couldn't even walk outside without become severly anxious; Nash: seperation anxeity
- How long did you use it? Allie was on it for a year, give or take a month or two, she is now off of it; Nash hasn't been on it long. We are going to have him on it for 3 months, re-evaluate how he is doing then and then decide to go longer, up dosage, or try weaning him off.
- How successful was it? Allie: very successful, it helped a ton. It took the edge off so we could start with behavioral modification. It actually also helped with her storm phobia, her anxeity was less during storms while on it, so we started pairing storms with good things. Now her anxeity during storms is noticably less. Nash: to soon to know if its helpeful or not
- Any notable negative side effects? They seemed a bit off for a few weeks at first, other than that nothing.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Mel:

For Allie's storm phobia, is the drug something you give all the time regardless of the weather? We are now in our hurricane/stormy season, and I never know when it will rain. Do you think, in your capacity as a lay person :D, that this is something I should talk to my vet about? I feel so bad for Roxxy when it's thundering and I would like something to help me be able to "retrain her brain" to not be so scared. And getting her better would help Butch too...he's now started being anxious...that trickle down theory.:eek:

This is a great thread you started Miss M. ;)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Mel:

For Allie's storm phobia, is the drug something you give all the time regardless of the weather? We are now in our hurricane/stormy season, and I never know when it will rain. Do you think, in your capacity as a lay person :D, that this is something I should talk to my vet about? I feel so bad for Roxxy when it's thundering and I would like something to help me be able to "retrain her brain" to not be so scared. And getting her better would help Butch too...he's now started being anxious...that trickle down theory.:eek:

This is a great thread you started Miss M. ;)
You can talk to your vet about it, but unless she has issues in other areas too, I don't know if it would be worth it or not. Its something you give everyday. If you have thunderstorms daily, then maybe it would be worth, not sure. I also don't know if it would help all dogs in that area, its just something I noticed with Allie that she was a lot less affected by them while on her meds.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I realize this is an older thread but I was wondering how the dogs on meds are doing now? I'm seriously considering it for my Casper he is extremely anxious and it's pretty random and unpredicitable what is setting him off- we have made some progress with behavior modification but it is not enough and he is causing alot of stress on the other dogs in the house as well as myself.

I can't imagine he is happy being so worried and reactive all the time

For some back ground he is 2 1/2 years old - he was in shelters, kennels and foster homes from 6 month to 1 year which is when I adopted him. His history from birth to 6 months is a mystery he was turned in as a stray and seemed to have been kept outside (zero house manners,not house broken, climbed on counters and tables). Since I've had him we have gone to obedience class, plus a fiesty fido course and we work alot at home on teaching him to relax but in a year and 1/2 he still loses his mind over the TV and can't be walked off the property.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KelliCZ, you might want to look into L-Theanine. I'm kind of busy now but I can give you more info on it later if you want. It's not a prescription, and they make it for dogs as well as humans. Marge currently uses them human version (same dosage) and I like the results so far (2 months).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts