Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old German Shepherd Dog, and also a Pekingnese Mix. I brought home a Jack Russell Terrier today. The Female Pekingnese gets along with the male Jack Russell Puppy but the male German Shepherd is one minute, they get along and the next, they're barking at eachother.

What could the issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump....please, I need some advice here. My GSD gets along with everyone else but this Jack pup. I dont understand what the deal is.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Same sex aggression is common in dogs (not saying thats what this is). I am not really sure what advice to give, I am sure some one will give you some tips, but please do not ever leave them unsupervised even for one second. Pekingnese and Jack Russell Terriers are very small dogs compared to German Shepherds, and things can turn very ugly in a second (even with dogs that have previously gotten along for years). The shepherd could see the male puppy as invading his space and you and could act aggressively.

Did you introduce the dogs on neutral ground and is are your dogs spayed/neutered?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I just brought him home. My GSD, Keanu, he is neutered, since he was 4 months. The Jack Russell, Raylan, I got from a relative, and no hes not neutered. The Pekingnese mix, Sage, shes spayed, and has gotten along well with Keanu. I dont know what Keanu and Raylan's deal is though. Its very odd, cause Keanu gets along very well with other dogs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That may be the issue. The german just sees it that you just brought a strange dog home onto his territory. I know tomorrow once everyone is awake someone will post some good advice on helping them get along, but just make sure you don't leave the puppy unsupervised with the german (lol I feel like I am talking about a german person).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the meantime, i dont want to have to leave him in a large crate, so I'll be handing him back over to my relative in the morning, atleast til i can sort this out. Its just confusing, cause while Raylan is in the crate, Keanu and him are fine, but as soon as I take Raylan out of the crate, Keanu and him have a disagreement and i have to put Raylan back.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That is because raylan is invading keanus home. It isn't confusing, it is just normal behavior for a dog who feels threatened. Is there anyway to separate them for a few days and then introduce them on neutral ground? That could help.

Definitely don't leave him in the crate though, dogs shouldn't be in there longer than necessary, which in my opinion is 3-4 hours maximum during the day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking into sleeping arrangements for tonight, then in the morning, i'll have to drop Raylan back off at my relatives before i go to work.

So you're saying that Keanu isnt threatened by Sage, cause shes female? I introduced her the same way.

Those two get along more than fine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Most likely. Typically, although not in all cases, dogs get along better if it is boy-girl instead of boy-boy or girl-girl.

And, by the way, your dogs are gorgeous!

·
Registered
468 Posts
If Raylan is fine with being in his crate, then he can sleep there over night. Dogs bodies slow down during the night so they can hold in their pee longer than during the day. My 8 month old maltese sleeps in his crate for about 7-8 hours each night.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
You are not giving them any time. if you just brought him home. sometimes it takes weeks for 2 dogs to get along.

If all he is doing is barking at him. is he just trying to get him to play?
How did you introduce them?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Walk them all together on leashes, briskly for about a half an hr or so. I'd probably take the GSD for a long walk/run first to tire him out, then go back and get the other 2, and then go for about a half an hour. Do it twice a day. Dogs bond on walks, and release excess energy which can increase anxiety and aggression.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would have to worked on, cause Raylan isnt leash trained just yet. However, Keanu and Sage love walks, so getting Raylan into it shouldnt be too hard. If this approach doesnt succeed, I have another option.

Thing is, i found out that the relatives who had Raylan, didnt feed him but twice daily, and i'm under the assumption, that puppies eat about 4 times a day atleast. Good news is that my sister in New York offered to take him if i can get him safely to her. I know she'll take care of him. I sent her a homeless Beagle a few years ago, she named him Shiloh, and she still has him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts