Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you weathered a natural disaster with your dog yet? Did they stay calm or completely got nuts or something between?
Besides food & water do you guys keep any other pet specific emergency supplies?

Few nights ago we had a small earthquake about 40 miles from me. Spirit was laying on the floor when it struck and just picked up her head to watch me walk away from the windows. She had such a non-reaction I almost thought I imagined the quake until I verified it on Facebook.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
There was an earthquake here (very rare!) a few weeks after we adopted Biscuit. We were at work, she was crated. I came home 30 minutes after and she had scooted the pan out of the crate, scooted the crate across the room (dangerously close to the stairs!), pulled the sheet we had covered the crate with into the crate, and peed all over. Safe to say Biscuit is not a fan of earthquakes! Can't say I blame her. We're just lucky she didn't topple herself in the crate down the stairs and that the heavy glass vases on a windowsill high above did not come crashing down on the crate. Terrifying.

Luckily we don't live in earthquake country. We do live in thunderstorm country, but oddly enough, she doesn't seem to mind storms. I can walk her outside and thunder and lightning don't phase her.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There was multiple huge fires that surrounded my town when we had our last dog. Daisy, our last dog, was very calm also was Pinky, my horse. We had to sleep a couple nights in our cars in the parking lot of the stables that we evacuated the horses to.

Now I keep a dog medical kit handy, and I also have a horse one in his trailer. We are really into camping, so I keep my camping gear all togeather, in case I need it for an emergency.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Hmm lets see, one earthquake, a derecho (was in an RV at the start of it), a couple blizzards, a couple tornadoes (one that hit a house just a couple houses up from me), yeah I think that is it.

My dogs for the most part don't mind storms, my old male weim didn't like loud noises (fire alarms, thunder, etc) so he really didn't like the noise from the tornado.

I don't think we keep anything other than water and food. We don't really get that many disasters.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Just weather... severe storms when it's warm, snowstorms when it's not.

We have a go-kit with food and water, a first aid kit, litter and pans for the cats, and.... other stuff I don't recall off the top of my head. We've never actually had to leave the house, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts