Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up a stray dog and I thought I was being cute by naming it Kitt (as in Knight Rider) . But, the poor dog is confused by knowing his name and the command 'Sit'. Besides changing his name, any suggestions on another verbal word? Or will he get used to me saying "Kitt Sit"?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Use a different word for the "sit" command.

The dog doesn't care which words you use for commands (as long as they're distinct). So just use whatever word works for you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I was very young, my parents had friends with a Weim named Kameir. I know that they would have him come by calling "Come 'ere, Kameir!" As far I know it worked out for him.

I'm not really offering this as advice. "Kitt, sit" just reminded me of this for the first time in years and made me smile, so I wanted to share. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I was very young, my parents had friends with a Weim named Kameir. I know that they would have him come by calling "Come 'ere, Kameir!" As far I know it worked out for him.

I'm not really offering this as advice. "Kitt, sit" just reminded me of this for the first time in years and made me smile, so I wanted to share. :)
omg I knew a lady that did the same thing. It only responded to that and not its name so she named it that, lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. After I posted this.. I was thinking of using "park it"... Kitt, park it... funny thing is... I didn't put two and two together about the car ... DOH!! Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like you have your answer, but it made me want to share a story of word mix-ups, too.

Back when my dog Snoopy and one of his sisters were about 9 weeks old, I had been teaching them to sit for treats and their meals. We had a penned indoor area where we trained. One day, one of them pooped in the pen, and managed to run through it and track it all over the floor (lovely image, I know). So I grabbed some paper towel to wipe up the worst of it quickly, and the pups thought my bending down was an invitation for play time... so they started jumping all over my arms, further spreading the poo, knocking the soiled towel out of my hand and grabbing it as a trophy, etc.

I got the towel back, stood up to asses how dirty my hands were, and in frustration called the puppies "Little Sh-ts" ... at which point both of them immediately stopped and planted their butts on the floor, looking up at me in expectation of treats!

There was a moment where I just looked at them quizzically wondering what I'd missed, and then I realized what they had thought they heard. I'm sure they were highly confused, but I couldn't help busting up laughing! :D

And then they got treats lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Lol on the stories!

We considered training Kabota commands using random words for our own amusement, like stove for sit and purse for lay. It would work just as well, but I figured if something happened and he ended up back in Rescue, he'd have to be trained all over again, poor boy.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
When my sister first started with Mikey in Agility, everytime he got on the table and she said down, he would jump off. She had to change the command to "drop" so he would not think she wanted him to get down from the table.

I named one dog "Keno" then had to remember not to say "no" as he thought it was his name. Won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Lol on the stories!

We considered training Kabota commands using random words for our own amusement, like stove for sit and purse for lay. It would work just as well, but I figured if something happened and he ended up back in Rescue, he'd have to be trained all over again, poor boy.
Having adopted a dog with basic training, I really really wish their previous owners would include a list of words they know already, particularly the release word for when they're allowed to eat and go out doors, which mine knew but I had no idea how to release her to do those things. If I ever have to give up my dogs, I will write a list of commands they know.

When my sister first started with Mikey in Agility, everytime he got on the table and she said down, he would jump off. She had to change the command to "drop" so he would not think she wanted him to get down from the table.

I named one dog "Keno" then had to remember not to say "no" as he thought it was his name. Won't make that mistake again.
Yeah, common mistake, people use "down" both for "lie down" and "get off", which is confusing. I use "down" for lie down and "off " for get off and "drop" for drop what's in your mouth. It used to be "drop" for lie down and "drop it" for drop what's in your mouth, and he would always lie down at the same time that he dropped what was in his mouth, so I changed it to "down".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you have your answer, but it made me want to share a story of word mix-ups, too.

Back when my dog Snoopy and one of his sisters were about 9 weeks old, I had been teaching them to sit for treats and their meals. We had a penned indoor area where we trained. One day, one of them pooped in the pen, and managed to run through it and track it all over the floor (lovely image, I know). So I grabbed some paper towel to wipe up the worst of it quickly, and the pups thought my bending down was an invitation for play time... so they started jumping all over my arms, further spreading the poo, knocking the soiled towel out of my hand and grabbing it as a trophy, etc.

I got the towel back, stood up to asses how dirty my hands were, and in frustration called the puppies "Little Sh-ts" ... at which point both of them immediately stopped and planted their butts on the floor, looking up at me in expectation of treats!

There was a moment where I just looked at them quizzically wondering what I'd missed, and then I realized what they had thought they heard. I'm sure they were highly confused, but I couldn't help busting up laughing! :D

And then they got treats lol.
Funny.... I'd be laughing as well..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having adopted a dog with basic training, I really really wish their previous owners would include a list of words they know already, particularly the release word for when they're allowed to eat and go out doors, which mine knew but I had no idea how to release her to do those things. If I ever have to give up my dogs, I will write a list of commands they know.

Yeah, common mistake, people use "down" both for "lie down" and "get off", which is confusing. I use "down" for lie down and "off " for get off and "drop" for drop what's in your mouth. It used to be "drop" for lie down and "drop it" for drop what's in your mouth, and he would always lie down at the same time that he dropped what was in his mouth, so I changed it to "down".
Kitt is already learning "Park it" for sit. Good thing he's a smart pup. With regards to using same words, I've posted the list of commands that the family is to use. With our previous dog, we fell into the trap of using down when we meant off. We still make this mistake from time to time.. But we are learning with Kitt..

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Actually, my dog's name is Kit (one t). I guess I've never had a problem with commands sounding like her name because I don't say "Kit, sit!", I just look at her and say "sit!". You can also try non-verbal commands (hand signals).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts