Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I say anything I will be calling the vet tomorrow and will have her looked at it, but wanted any advice you guys might have. Tonight I noticed some red areas on the inside of Ellie's back legs. I have seen her lick there before and she seems to have been doing it a little more often lately. I was going to talk to the vet about it at her annual appointment in a few weeks, however now I need to do it tomorrow!

She seems to have licked the hair off and one of the areas seems very moist and shiny almost like the area could be oozing or something. No blood. I am worried because I feel like these areas got so agitated in just one day! She lays on her back every night so we always see her belly. I guess it could have been irritated already, but definitely not like it is now. The only thing different was she was at a daycare today (at a family's home). She goes there once a week.

She has been sleeping for a few hours already so she hasn't been licking the area. I do not have a cone to put on her. I'm hoping she will be okay through the night and not lick. Is there anything I could put on it to deter her? Anyone else have this happen to their dog?

I am a first time dog owner and an anxious person so this just made me all worried.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
There could be lots of fairly fixable causes to sores like that. A minor allergic reaction to something like a bug bite, maybe. Or Golden Retrievers and other breeds are really prone to things called hotspots, which are exactly what you describe - big red ooze-y sores.

My GSD mix gets sores on his belly sometimes, and I shave the area, clean it thoroughly with a very mild soap, put a topical anti-itch cream on it and give him Benadryl.

It's a good idea to take her to the vet and to stop her from licking the area when you can, but don't be too worried, it sounds like something that is most likely very easy to treat :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing has changed recently except weed pollen is very high here right now so that might explain her general itchiness. We did switch her to adult food within the same brand (she has always been on Canidae) about a month ago. However, the vet was leaning more towards seasonal allergies than food allergies. Her ears and paws looked good despite her sometimes scratching/chewing. As for the sore the vet thought maybe she had an abrasion or a minor injury to the area and her licking it caused the sore. They took a scrapping and put her on antibiotics and said to keep her on the Benadryl. I have a cone now just in case, but I really hope she won't need it. I am pretty sure she would go nuts with that on.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Most of the hot spots I've seen have been at base of tail and on flanks. Inside of thighs isn't where mine have gotten hot spots.
Also, the hot spots mine have gotten over the years have been alarmingly fast in how they grow. They do fit the oozing pattern you describe.
If the underlying problem is growth of bacteria, keeping the area dry and unfriendly to bacterial growth is likely to control it.
I've usually been able to control hot spots by clipping the hair back around the perimeter of the affected area and applying anything that is drying in nature. Swabbing on peroxide and or rubbing alcohol has worked. So have some of the powders and mild antibiotics recommended by vets, or the herbal remedies recommended by holistic vets.
Given your are a first time dog owner, I'd just listen to what your vet recommends . . . I doubt it is serious and it's likely that there are many treatments that will work. If the problem returns, you may be able to find a home remedy that works.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Ida gets these occasionally, and I am fairly certain most of them are bug bites. We have quite a few mosquitos and also ants (which she will hunt) in our yard, and the red spots seem to pop up suddenly - within 24h - and then are totally gone within 24-48 h of me noticing them and preventing her from licking it.

For some reason, Ida has very little hair on her inner thighs and lower belly (always has), so it makes sense to me that the lack of hair there makes it an easier target for biting insects.

ETA: If you are truly concerned about it, a vet visit is never a bad idea. But after panicking about similar things with my older dog multiple times, my approach now is to prevent the dog from irritating that spot as much as possible and observe for 24 hours - if it gets worse, I call the vet. If it doesn't get worse, I continue to observe and if it hasn't started to improve within 2 days, then call the vet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ellie does have much less hair on her inner thighs so it is possible she could've got a bug bite. She was outside quite a bit that day. Since this was the first time she has had something like this happen I am glad I went to the vet. In the future I think I would monitor as you said gingerkid before taking her in. She hasn't tried to lick it all today so that's a good sign. Also she did fantastic at the vet, allowing the dr to examine the area. I love when all these manners classes we have taken pay off and she does well in real life situations :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Ellie had still been itchy.. pawing at her ears, nose and sometimes licking and chewing paws. We took her to the vet yesterday for anal sac expression and talked about the itchiness. Her skin on her belly has gotten better, but it's still visibly different so the vet gave her prednisone. I didn't even give her the full dose yesterday as I felt the side effects of the steroid were worse than her allergies. Calling the vet back today to discuss options. Pretty sure she has seasonal allergies because ragweed got very high around the same time her symptoms started. Hoping it gets better soon.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I hope you can get her itchiness under control! Seasonal/environmental allergies are the worst, because unlike food allergens, you can't really remove your dog from what is causing their symptoms.

What side effects are you worried about with the prednisone? My dogs always did fine on it, just were slightly thirstier than normal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She had all the side effects they warned us about: thirsty, frequent urination, and increased appetite. Which is fine we expected those. However, she was very restless. She constantly signaled to go potty, but then wouldn't go. I was worried how the second pill of the day would increase those side effects.

Overall I felt her allergies were not bad enough to warrant the steroids. She seemed more uncomfortable on the prednisone than off. I think it was a miscommunication between myself and the vet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Daisy had a 'lick granuloma' and it took 3 months to heal. I paid a chunk of money for the spray the vet recommended, saying she would never lick the spot because the medicine tasted nasty. She ate it.

I just got into the habit of saying 'Daisy stop it' every time she started licking and kept her active enough during the day that she didn't wake at night and it finally healed and all the hair grew back.

There is a spot that looks like a granuloma called a histocytoma. Daisy had one of those as a teeny pup and some are cancerous but the ones on a puppy / young dog are generally not. We did have a needle biopsy and it was another 3 months to heal but the biopsy proved it was nothing serious.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have a dog that got a hot spot and tried all kinds of dog hot spot treatments and anti lick stuff. I ended up spraying Lotramin (the jock itch stuff) powder spray on it, because it cools, contains pain killers, and stops itching. Worked great. Dried it up, stopped the licking so it could heal. It's antifungal as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts