Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been driving our dog in the back of a hatchback. But, when I think about it, the back of the hatchback is like the crumple zone of a car in the case of a rear end crash.

I'm wondering if that is normal. If I think about it too much, it's kind of scary. I wouldn't put my kids in the crumple zone of a car...so I'm not sure if it's really right to put the dog in the hatchback area.

Humm....

But, the alternative is kind of inconvenient. My dog isn't comfortable in backseats. And, it seems safer when braking hard so the dog doesn't fall into weird spots.

Anyways...just wondering what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have a SUV and the back when the seats are down is much like a hatch back ... maybe a bit larger ... but I don't want my dogs to become projectiles ... so I use a crate that I strap down tight so it also does not move. I can keep the crate closer to the middle of the vehicle.They make seat restraints like seat belts for dogs also. I just have never really thought about using one of those. :) I usually also keep a nice comforter in the crate for padding.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I strap Kabota into a doggy seat restraint in the back seat. This was after he nearly flew from the back seat through the windshield when we had to stop suddenly. He likes it, but he's very tolerant of virtually any touch or restraint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts