Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a Thread w/ this topic and really couldn't find one so.....
sorry for the long lead in!

In the warmer months we hike w/ our American Akita 'Dru' and take Butterfly and Insect photographs.
This usually comes down to her walking/hiking w/ Dru and me stopping to get shots and catching up. Or calling her on the cell to see where we can met up...lol!
No problems there as long as we stay On-lead.

In the Winter I take Gravestone shots for Find A Grave.
They have a service called Requests where you go to local cemeteries and get shots for Genealogists or Family Members who are too far away to visit.

Most of the local Cemeteries allow pets on-lead but I have become aware of Off-lead Cemeteries also.
BUT some do not allow Dogs, other than Service Dogs obviously.
I assume someone either caused problems w/ their off-lead dogs or the ruling body has issues.

For the record Dru is 'Poop' walked before we get there.
Absolutely cleaned up afterwards if he needs to go.
AND he is On-lead at ALL times.
Being a male we have also trained him only to mark on trees, bushes, etc...
It makes for a fine romp and we enjoy learning about many of the local Families.

My question is do you walk your dogs in cemeteries?
Thoughts about that.

Ric

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I don't but it might be more due to the fact that there are none conveniently located near me. Plus I have accessible hiking and running trails nearby.
But years ago when I took my dog with the family to pay respects to some of our lost ones, I let my dog offleash and he peed on someone else's tomb stone. And that just didn't sit well with me. I'm not superstitious, spiritual, or anything like that. But still, it leaves me with the feeling that I just desecrated something. Also, some people leave food and flowers out and I'm sure Soro would go for those :D

Bottom line is I would have no trouble walking my dog through a cemetery. But I wouldn't seek one out as a place to exercise my dog. In theory I have no problems with people doing so as long as they are respectful.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
No, but only because we have none around here that permit dogs. I probably would otherwise. Cemeteries can be very pretty. I'm not much interested in the deceased, but I love big, beautiful trees and scenery.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I've never had to occasion to, but I would never and definitely not offleash. My dog starts to dig, hikes their leg, poops... That bothers me. I don't even walk on graves, and quite frankly it agitates me when people do. I find that horribly disrespectful. And, it's hard to explain to a dog that you shouldn't walk, pee, poop or dig on someone's final resting place.

If someone wants to walk their dog there, fine, but as long as they can keep it from peeing or pooping on someone's grave or headstone.

I know personally, if I were to see a dog hike it's leg on someone's headstone, I would speak up and probably not in a friendly manner. Even if the headstone didn't belong to one of my loved ones, I would sharply make my opinion on that known.

Cemeteries are interesting. In a lot of them there's a lot of history and stories and an aire of mystery, but I don't think it's a place for someone to walk their dogs regularly.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I take Bella through the one in our town all the time. It is on the last part of our walk-circle. They do allow dogs and have a sign that says "if you take your dog for a run, please pick up when you're done". Cute. We visit some lost friends and there are some VERY old stones that are interesting to read.

I never let her eliminate in the cemetary. That would be horribly disrespectful.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I never do, but only because I don't live near any. One of the best off-leash dog-friendly spots here in DC is the historic Congressional Cemetery. You technically need to be a member and there is a wait list. There are dues that help maintain the space, and I think they also say there are benefits just in having the area populated with dog walkers. They have a whole set of rules for respectful graveyard dog walking: http://www.cemeterydogs.org/sites/default/files/2013 Dog Walking Rules.pdf

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I used to walk my dogs through a big cemetery near my old house. I would never let them eliminate in there, though. I'm not superstitious; it's just really disrespectful to let a dog pee or poop in a cemetery... especially on a grave. We usually passed through there well into our walk, though, so they'd already gone anyway. I don't remember either of them ever even attempting to eliminate in the cemetery.

·
Registered
404 Posts
As a mom to 3 human deceased children and both parents, I get SUPER upset when I see dogs running loose through grave yards. :(

Walking on a leash on the paths/roads - still a bit unsettling. Why? If dog has to "go" no one stops them from doing so on the edges of the paths/roads/driveways, which often times are still pretty darn close to grave sites.

BUT this is a raw gut jerk reaction on MY end while at grave sites.

If I did not have 3 children and/or parents buried, I may not think the way I do.... just saying.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
As a mom to 3 human deceased children and both parents, I get SUPER upset when I see dogs running loose through grave yards. :(

Walking on a leash on the paths/roads - still a bit unsettling. Why? If dog has to "go" no one stops them from doing so on the edges of the paths/roads/driveways, which often times are still pretty darn close to grave sites.

BUT this is a raw gut jerk reaction on MY end while at grave sites.

If I did not have 3 children and/or parents buried, I may not think the way I do.... just saying.
All my friends in the cemetary were animal lovers. I certainly would never - EVER - let Bella eliminate on the premesis at all - but I do allow her to go near the graves of my friends. Other that that we stick to the path out of respect for people such as yourself who may be offended. And I don't blame you! I'd feel the same way. But, if they could, I think my deceased friends would love to say hi to Bella.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
My little brother died in 2006 at the age of 5. I don't visit often, it makes me sad mostly, but when I go, I like to bring Jackson with me. It brings me a bit of comfort. It's typically deserted, not many others there at the same time, so I walk Jackson along and sit at my brother's gravestone for a bit with him. I don't let him go up to the others graves, or pee on anything, etc. But I know Connor, my brother, would love to have him visiting and probably would be somewhere laughing if he DID in fact pee on the headstone (which I wouldn't let him do). He giggled at those kinds of moments.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I never do, but only because I don't live near any. One of the best off-leash dog-friendly spots here in DC is the historic Congressional Cemetery. You technically need to be a member and there is a wait list. There are dues that help maintain the space, and I think they also say there are benefits just in having the area populated with dog walkers. They have a whole set of rules for respectful graveyard dog walking: http://www.cemeterydogs.org/sites/default/files/2013 Dog Walking Rules.pdf
I wanted to go here! But it was way too expensive for someone like me who doesn't live in the city and would only maybe visit once or twice per year.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I wanted to go here! But it was way too expensive for someone like me who doesn't live in the city and would only maybe visit once or twice per year.
It's more the wait list (LONG wait list) than the expense, for me. I don't live too far, but definitely not walking distance. It would be nice to go on weekends though. I've heard that some people just go there without belonging, but...I dunno. It's a good organization and it feels disrespectful not to follow the rules.

Sometimes I think we should have a DC/DMV dogforums meetup!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
All my friends in the cemetary were animal lovers. I certainly would never - EVER - let Bella eliminate on the premesis at all - but I do allow her to go near the graves of my friends. Other that that we stick to the path out of respect for people such as yourself who may be offended. And I don't blame you! I'd feel the same way. But, if they could, I think my deceased friends would love to say hi to Bella.
Same here; I would still bring Soro to our family grave site if we visit, but I'd keep him on leash this time around. It's customary for everyone to bow three times, and I have Soro do the same :D

My little brother died in 2006 at the age of 5. I don't visit often, it makes me sad mostly, but when I go, I like to bring Jackson with me. It brings me a bit of comfort. It's typically deserted, not many others there at the same time, so I walk Jackson along and sit at my brother's gravestone for a bit with him. I don't let him go up to the others graves, or pee on anything, etc. But I know Connor, my brother, would love to have him visiting and probably would be somewhere laughing if he DID in fact pee on the headstone (which I wouldn't let him do). He giggled at those kinds of moments.
I like that outlook! Maybe I'll have my tombstone be a giant fire hydrant. I wouldn't mind dogs peeing on MY headstone either!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I never have, but like others have said it's more because I don't really have occasion to rather than that I find it objectionable. As long as dogs are on-leash and owners are respectful of the actual graves as far as dogs urinating/defecating, I wouldn't object to someone else doing it, either.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
The really gorgeous cemeteries in my city are specifically no-dogs allowed and I respect that. I do enjoy walking there and taking photos and reading the graves of the leaders and shakers of the past. The main historic cemetery was designed as a park like setting because back in the day, there was not yet a concept of public parks so cemeteries were a place for families to picnic and walk amid nature. The landscaping is elaborate, at least as much as the actual Olmsted designed parks right nearby. So the concept of treating a cemetery as a place for respectful recreation isn't unusual. I actually am trying to look for a dogs allowed cemetery as an alternative to the parks systems because I need a place to take reactive foster dogs where there are few dogs around and it would give me something interesting to look at while walking.

As long as dogs are on-leash and owners are respectful of the actual graves as far as dogs urinating/defecating, I wouldn't object to someone else doing it, either.
Agreed. The idea of an off-leash cemetery is very strange. Dogs digging and possibly eating flowers or knocking over flags, ornaments etc. would be very disrespectful. But just having the dogs there isn't disrespectful to me. It is like keeping the deceased as a part of daily life- people walking by, remembering them, reading the stones, keeping history alive so to speak and dogs are a member of the family for so many people that having them there doesn't seem stranger than having children around in the graveyard (and both should be respectful while there)

·
Registered
471 Posts
To be quite honest (and it looks like I'm the minority here) but I've seen people doing it, and I find it incredibly offensive. I don't really know why it upsets me so much (I'm not even remotely religious,) but I live a few minutes walk from the cemetery where all the deceased members on my father's side and my sister are buried, and whenever I drive buy and see people's dogs in there, I'm really tempted to jump out and ask them how they can be so completely disrespectful. If I ever went to visit a family member and a dog was there, I think a fight would most definitely start.

I know it's a completely wonked perspective, especially from a person like myself who thinks cemeteries shouldn't exist at all and are a waste of good space, but for some reason it just enrages me. Maybe I wouldn't feel that way if I wasn't the only person in this town who picks up after her dogs or is remotely responsible for them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think my opinion of it is going to be slightly off what everyone else thinks. While having a physical place to go and remember your loved ones, I have a hard time thinking cemeteries are the best use of resources like water and land. If we could combine them into something that could be used for more then one purpose that would be great say a golf course or park.

Also, we use cemeteries for our k-9 training, we have one that allows us to train there on a regular basis. It is great for our HRD dogs too.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If we could combine them into something that could be used for more then one purpose that would be great say a golf course or park.
I'm sorry, but... how is a golf course, or a park more important than a resting place for peoples' loved ones?

One thing that would make me madder than a dog pissing on a headstone would be a bunch of people playing golf right next to it, or in it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm sorry, but... how is a golf course, or a park more important than a resting place for peoples' loved ones?

One thing that would make me madder than a dog pissing on a headstone would be a bunch of people playing golf right next to it, or in it.
I don't think a golf course or parks would really be better use, but I've often thought of how many people would benefit if all the cemeteries were replaced with homeless shelters or low-cost clinics or things that could actually benefit living people.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
There is a cemetery about a quarter mile from my house. It's huge, spans across a block, very nice paved "roads", a nice pond, geese, etc. This is where I primarily bike with Sir. He loves watching the geese in the pond. I've felt kind of strange about it and wondered weather or not it was socially acceptable; SO seems to think it isn't and won't go there, but doesn't tell me I shouldn't or anything. I don't bike around there if there are services going on out of respect. Sir is 100% of the time on leash of course and doesn't get a chance to stop to poop OR pee, and we stay on the road, so I'm not worried about that. It's really peaceful there and interesting to see all of the flowers and gravestones. I never thought about photography there but I may have to stop sometime to "smell the roses" and shoot. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts