Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to hear what other owners do with their dogs when they go in cars. Put them in a crate, harness them in a special seat belt, let 'em roam? (Please note: I'm not talking about dogs in truck beds. I mean in the car.) Cupid comes with me in the car several times a week, and I'm trying to figure out the best way. I put his crate in there, but he rarely stays in it.

What do you do?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I put his crate in there, but he rarely stays in it.

What do you do?
First off, I'd suggest you use a crate with a door on it lol. We keep our dogs in crates if we are travelling with all 4 dogs. If we are in the car with only 1 or 2 dogs they have doggy seat belts on. You can usually find these in any reputable pet store. (I stay away from the ones that sell dogs and cats).

You must remember that dogs can be projectile objects and if you are in an accident a dog loose in the car is going to go flying and he could end up hurting you as well as being seriously hurt himself. So I'd crate (door closed) or use a seatbelt.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mabel has a harness with a strap that clips on the seat belt. It will keep her from becoming a projectile during an accident.

But on a more day-to-day basis it simply means that she can't bolt from the car anytime we open a door.

·
Registered
521 Posts
They stay put every time.
Nessa
Not if you are in an accident. A lady at our dog club left the club and not even a minute later her dog was killed and she was badly injured when broad sided at the stop sign a block away. If the dog had been crated or seat belted in it would have survived, instead it went through the windshield. We never think we will be in an accident but [email protected]#t happens and I want my puppers to be safe. They are already crate trained so they don't mind and our 2 bigger dogs have never been in the car without a seatbelt so they don't know any different. Please, please people, keep your dogs safe!

Just want to add that my pups are just as excited to get their seatbelt harnesses on as they are their leashes:).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Beethoven gets to sit on someone's lap when he goes in the car. He can roam around and sit with whoever he likes, though (depending on if he's in the front or the back... He can't really get to the back if hes in the front or vice versa). Though we can't really bring him out anymore, last time he was in the car he told me he got car sick by throwing up breakfast in my lap x.x So we're probably going to put him in the crate next time he has to go somewhere.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Not if you are in an accident. A lady at our dog club left the club and not even a minute later her dog was killed and she was badly injured when broad sided at the stop sign a block away. If the dog had been crated or seat belted in it would have survived, instead it went through the windshield. We never think we will be in an accident but [email protected]#t happens and I want my puppers to be safe. They are already crate trained so they don't mind and our 2 bigger dogs have never been in the car without a seatbelt so they don't know any different. Please, please people, keep your dogs safe!

Just want to add that my pups are just as excited to get their seatbelt harnesses on as they are their leashes:).
Well thank you for the concern... but I do it my way and you do it your way... I have no problem with the way I have done things for years. And yes Sh*t does happen... my 3rd grade teacher got into an accident with her dog in the car in the crate and the crate bent and smashed the dog to death, had it not been in the crate, it would have lived... so things can go either way. Thanks though :)
Nessa

·
Registered
673 Posts
Dakota undid her doggy seat belt, don't know how she got the clip out:D now I just use her leash and hook her up so she can't roam otherwise she leans against me and has to have her head on my shoulder

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sorry you disagree. I hope you decide to wear a seatbelt yourself, even though there have been cases where the seatbelt has acually been the cause of a fatality. Statistically, more lives are saved with seatbelts than not. I don't imagine any studies have been done on dogs in crates vs loose in car so I guess we'll agree to disagree:/

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
And yes Sh*t does happen... my 3rd grade teacher got into an accident with her dog in the car in the crate and the crate bent and smashed the dog to death, had it not been in the crate, it would have lived... so things can go either way. Thanks though :)
Nessa
That scares me. I know that if I'm in an accident with them in the car I don't want them to go through the windshield, but what it the car is crushed and we cannot get them out of their doggie seatbelt or crate?
Our dogs are in crates. Mostly because I don't want them going through the windshield and the other reason is, well the cars need to be cleaned out super bad haha. I really don't want them finding a 3 year old french fry and eating that. Eww.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Sorry you disagree. I hope you decide to wear a seatbelt yourself, even though there have been cases where the seatbelt has acually been the cause of a fatality. Statistically, more lives are saved with seatbelts than not. I don't imagine any studies have been done on dogs in crates vs loose in car so I guess we'll agree to disagree:/
:) Good then fraggle, :D I like to agree to disagree. Seriously I never take anything badly and dont look to make enemies just because someone doesnt agree with the way I do things. It's all good, oh and I have to wear a seat belt! If not for my safety! For my pocket!!! I dont need to pay 250 dollars for getting stopped without one on! :eek:

That scares me. I know that if I'm in an accident with them in the car I don't want them to go through the windshield, but what it the car is crushed and we cannot get them out of their doggie seatbelt or crate?
Our dogs are in crates. Mostly because I don't want them going through the windshield and the other reason is, well the cars need to be cleaned out super bad haha. I really don't want them finding a 3 year old french fry and eating that. Eww.
Yea it has scared me as well LSHJC, scared the hell outta me. The saddest part is she couldnt do a thing but just watch her dog suffocate and bleed to death because she couldnt get her out. I cant say that has really pushed me to NOT use a crate... but it has helped a bit to sway me away from it. I've never used them... I thought about it, but when the accident happened 2 years ago... and I had to help my teacher bury her baby... I said, I think things are fine the way they are. Anything can happen, in any way sadly.
Nessa

·
Registered
521 Posts
I wonder if a soft sided crate would have been any better. Probably not. The dog would have been squished instead of the crate. Sad story to be sure and we get no guarantees no matter what we decide. I hope none of us ever have to go through what the grade 3 teacher did.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I wonder if a soft sided crate would have been any better. Probably not. The dog would have been squished instead of the crate. Sad story to be sure and we get no guarantees no matter what we decide. I hope none of us ever have to go through what the grade 3 teacher did.
Oh me too, I am definitely not trying to tell any of you all "Dont put your dogs in crates while your in the car!" Oh no no of course not. I believe that anyone should do whatever makes them feel more comfortable in the situation. To each his own... and that is the best way IMO.

My 3rd grade teacher is such a wonderful person as well... sigh she really did not deserve that to happen to her, and it be as brutal as it was :(. She still has her babies though 10 rescues and all of them are mainly elderly. She really loves to rescue elderly dogs, but since the accident she is paranoid to take any of them on a car ride. It's quite sad. I suggested a leash seat belt... but she just wont have it... she needs to get through it first.
Nessa

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Being the irresponsible dog mom that I am, I do not restrain my boys in the car. I have a hatchback which, when the back seats are folded down, is configured in such a way that the dogs physically cannot fly through the front windshield. There is nothing preventing them from flying out the rear or side window, but there is also nothing preventing them from choking on their next bully stick while I am in the bathroom with the door closed.

·
Banned
352 Posts
Our 4-H Guide dog puppy club rules state that all pups in training are to be crated when traveling.
My wifes Guide rides in the back seat with a seat belt attached to her harness, so the pup is in the back in the crate, and her Guide is in the seat strapped in.
When she rides the bus, her Guide is under her seat or when that wont work, sits beside her on the floor---but is never in the seat itself.
We have her Guide belted up for safety, and the pup is crated because he still has a lot of learning to do about traveling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts