Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious to what everyone does to keep their dogs safe in the car. I recently bought 3 seatbelts that connect to my dogs harness' with one end a seat belt clip and the other a regular clasp to attach to the harness. Its adjustable and works well but they are taking some time to get used to it. I had a "hammock" in the back, the Kurgo one, but it shifted and my one pup liked to climb under it and lay behind my seat and the other one would jump over it into the front while I was driving. Not safe. What do you use?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Rightly or wrongly, we just let Biscuit ride in the backseat. Or sometimes in the front passenger seat. We haven't bothered with a harness or anything. She's not the type to bounce around, though. I thought about getting a hammock but I think it would be hard for her to jump up on it. Our car is pretty high off the ground as it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently got the seat belts, we had to stop short and they got bumped around a bit and it worried me if we actually got hit. Quick trips down the block to the park when we dont walk they free-roam

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yeah, I worry about that too. I thought about getting a screen to put between the front and backseats so at least she wouldn't go through the windshield if we got rear-ended. We drive VERY carefully when she's in the car. You'll have to report back on how the pups adjust to the seatbelts!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Saw a accident on the freeway with a dog tossed out of the window so will not be free roaming ever. I just imagine what if they survive getting thrown out and get confused or get thrown into where they get run over? IF they were contained maybe they would have been contained and safe from traffic.

I have metal crates. I'm making bumpers for it so that if anything happens they don't go smacking into the sides so rough.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
My dogs are crated in the car, always.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I have seat belt harnesses for long drives. If we are running up the street - I put Misty harness leash in a slip knot on a carbiner and clip this to the car seat hook on the top of the back seat. I do the same for Sierra (although many times she is just loose in the back seat as she just sits there).

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a strap that connects Bones' harness to the headrest in the backseat. She always wears it, no exceptions. I saw a simulation on tv about what happens to loose dogs if you ever get in an accident and your car rolls. Plus, this keeps her in the backseat and off the back of my head!

·
Banned
964 Posts
I want to buy a jeep wrangler...but..
Im concerned about the wind blowing dirt into my dogs eye when the top is down..
Is there a mfg that makes protective eyewear for dogs?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im concerned about the wind blowing dirt into my dogs eye when the top is down..
My boys LOVE the windows down so they have doggles. Took only a few times for them to get used to them and they will wear them to the park too. There are different styles.
http://www.baxterboo.com/dogs.cfm/doggles-dog-goggles
Thats where we got ours idk if theres other places

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Doggles....they work great, i was told....here's Kilt fashioning hers.....she had them on cuz she had her CERF's done and the sun was to bright....

edited to say: mine, unfortunately, ride free.....w/ 4, plus a lot of times extras, there just isn't room for crates, etc......but there is an ex-pen in there that makes a cage in the center and i can leave doors open when parked, if need be.....someone mentioned to me once that their dog slipped right out of the harness when they had to hit the brake once to avoid a deer....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doggles....they work great, i was told....here's Kilt fashioning hers.....she had them on cuz she had her CERF's done and the sun was to bright....
where did you purchase yours?

...and random unrelated question how do you get your pictures to be so big? when I upload one it is tiny.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I use this double carbiner clip attached to the metal loop at the base of the back seat for child safety seats and the other end to his harness. Since I bought it we use it EVERY TIME we drive anywhere.

Jubel actually is very good in the car even before I bought a tether this is purely to keep him safe in case of an accident or short stops. He used to ride free mostly in the front passenger seat and I was actually in the habit of reaching over to brace him if I had to hit the brakes remotely hard. So much so that I once reached over when I hit they brakes and my brother was in the passenger seat, Jubel wasn't even in the car.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Last year, I saw a YouTube video, sort of a crash test for dummies for dogs. It scared the crap out of me so we bought a Kurgo zipline. I feel better that they're somewhat secured.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes, they're called Doggles. http://doggles.com/ A friend has a pair for her dog & they work great she says.

Re: dog in the car-Molly has a harness that has a tether that attaches to the seatbelt. It's just safer for everyone concerned to have dogs safely restrained in a moving vehicle.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I should go take a photo. My SUV has these rings on the floor of the cargo area. I place Auriel's crate in the center of these rings, then bungee cord the crate down to these rings. With it being so hot, she does to get to sit up front with me while I'm waiting for the truck to cool off before I put her in the crate.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have an ext cab truck so buddyrides in the back seat by himself, josefina rides up front with us by she is belted in via a harness & the center seatbelt ...the Airbag is of course turned off

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
We have a SUV that we put a crate in. We lay the passenger seats down to make it a wagon. We fasten the crate down and run bungee cords through the seat belt apparatus and floor rings so the crate cannot slide in the event of an accident or sudden stop.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last year, I saw a YouTube video, sort of a crash test for dummies for dogs. It scared the crap out of me so we bought a Kurgo zipline. I feel better that they're somewhat secured.
I looked at those but with the 3 dogs I thought it might get tangled if they try to jump one another, do you love it?

I use this for mine. One has horrible crate anxieties and my car wouldnt fit 3 crates big enough

·
Registered
203 Posts
We use a Bergan harness and love it.

And FWIW, typical bungee cords and ratchet straps are probably going to break in a collision. They might be OK in a fender bender though. Unless you splurged for some serious bungees and have a really good way to anchor them. But the main purpose of pet restraints in a vehicle is to prevent the dog(s) from distracting the driver - preventing an accident in the first place. :)

I'm a child passenger safety technician and once saw a car seat installed with ratchet straps. The adult seemed convinced they would be just fine but from what I know about crash forces, well..... :( Prayers that car is collision free, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts