Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old Treeing Walker Coon Hound, and a 2 year old Pit/Lab. Over the past month or 2 they have become picky with the food that we give them and raely eat it seems. We used to only feed them Nutro food, then they got picky and wouldn't eat it, then we went with the Purina ProPlan and they seemed to eat it and our Pit/Lab has always been crazy with eating, scarfing down food and barely having time to enjoy it. Now they started getting to where it would take them forever to actually eat the food and it would sit for a few hours and the oldest would throw up yellow vomit because she wouldn't eat. When they finally would eat, the youngest will gulp down water and east her food, and then throw it up everyone in a while(she is also suspected of eating crap outside too). So I grabbed some Kibbles and Bits to see if they would eat it, and its about the same. Is it bad food that I am giving them, since they both don't eat, or does it sound like something serious might be wrong? I hate having to keep taking them to the vet, I spent over a grand in the past year on them, slicing open their paw in the back yard. SO I am not rich but just want them to be okay and hate going to the vet and having them say they are fine, and still get charged.

Any ideas everyone?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well none of those foods is top notch gourmet stuff but hungry dogs should still eat it. Thousands if not millions of dogs live on it for extended periods of time. Your guys are definitely giving you the message that this stuff isn't suitable. Could it be spoiled? Check the bag and the kibble of all the sorts they have refused for damage, date to be used by, smell, consistancy, foreign matter anything else that seems off. Petco got in trouble a couple years ago for improper storage, it happens.

If they do have a tummy ache then resetting the system might help. Even though they aren't having bad diarrhea and vomiting maybe a short fast and then eating a bland diet for a few days will help the appetite return. Water only for 24 hours and feed mushy rice and chicken or ground beef only after that in several small meals a day. If that goes well then move to normal feeding times and amounts and add in a few regular kibbles each meal. I only used the chicken and since it is low fat my dogs were happy to go back to kibble, not sure the same would be true of hamburger.

If the stuff you have looks fine to you and the dogs do fine on the bland diet and still turn up their snooty noses at your stuff then either move to a more meaty higher quality kibble or spike the cheap stuff with meaty stuff. You could try canned but bet they know about real meat and that is about the same price as cheap canned dog food anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts