Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi dog moms and dads!

Today, my dog Pugsley had his first seizure. It was really scary - he started shaking, but also tried to walk at the same time and couldn't. I realized he was having a seizure, and didn't know what to do, because of course I have never read in depth about it before. I kind of talked him through it, and although it only lasted about a minute, it felt like forever.

I called his vet at Banfield, and it was super busy over there. I waited on the phone for a super long time only to talk to a vet tech, who basically told me that they can't really do anything because it was ony his first seizure and that its one of those "not enough information" scenarios. The told me to monitor him closely and that it is considered an emergency once his seizures begin to last longer and more frequently.

Now I'm nervous about leaving him when I work. Does anyone have any insight on dog seizures (please try not to scare me too badly, I'm already terrified and have seems umteen million youtube videos since this afternoon) or any monitoring strategies/devices you use?

Thank you,
Worries dog mom.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Like your vet said, there really isn't much you can do unless/until your dog is diagnosed with epilepsy.
For your sanity, it might be best to to try and think of this as a 1 off and just be mindful that it *could* happen again in the future. If you're at work, you can't really help anyway - the drive home would probably take longer than the actual seizure. The most you can do is set your dog up in a safe place when you leave, and just be aware of him when you're home. If this happens again, time the seizure and call your vet afterwards.

Be mindful of what he was doing just before the seizure took place - is this an allergic response to a new food? to an environmental change? did he throw up today? anything that happened that day, make a mental note of it, maybe even write it down, and if this ever happens again - bring it to your vet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Boston Bullmama.

The vet tech told me about keeping a log - no new food allergies, no environment change, no throwing up or loss of bowels. And I think that not knowing or having a idea of a culprit makes it even harder for me. Hopefully this will be the last time, but at least I know what I know what to do the next time it happens. :(

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It can be helpful to the vet if you video your dog while it seizes.
Don't panic. Seizures are extremely variable, and treatment should vary depending on the nature and frequency of the seizure.
I'd prefer a vet that says 'wait and see' to one that runs a few hundred dollars worth of tests and comes up with the most common answer: "don't know . . . wait and see what happens".
I had one dog who had a single, very serious grand mal seizure. Scared the bejesus out of me. She never had another.
My 10 year old has very very mild focal seizures about once a month if I don't give her phenobarbital. Her legs tense up, she walks stiffly, then lies down. She stays conscious but looses focus. These days she wags her tail the whole time, perhaps because I sit beside her, stroke her, and tell her she's a good girl. It lasts about 2 minutes.
I used to run a boarding kennel, and saw a lot of other dogs with seizures. They can be serious. But most are not, and many many dogs with seizures live to a ripe old age with low doses of inexpensive medicine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts