Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you have read my previous threads or not, but I have two dogs: Rufus, a 8-9yo black lab mix we got from the pound back in June; and Bernie, our 14 week old chocolate lab puppy we rescued about 6 weeks ago.

Bernie has been doing great-a few accidents every now and then as expected, but overall a great pup. He graduates his puppy training class on Thursday, and has been getting along great with other dogs that we meet at parks and such.

Rufus was never one for other dogs. I've never seen him play with another dog, and is very uneasy with introductions and overall interaction. He's a great dog, does well with cats and tolerates Bernie, but just isn't one for mingling.

HOWEVER, the yesterday I saw him chase Bernie down the hallway, so I immediately chased after to see if there was some aggression going on. I turned the corner, and THEY WERE PLAYING! They were jumping on each other, grabbing necks, rolling around, etc. I haven't seen something make me so happy in a long time (wedding excluded, of course :wink: )!

I can't tell you how relieved I was, because honestly, I didn't think Rufus even knew how to play with other dogs. It lasted about ten minutes, and both were wiped after.

It was a one and done type of ordeal. Bernie has tried to play a few other times, but Rufus wasn't having it. He let Bernie know once and Bernie has backed off a little. I don't expect it to be an every day thing (I'm thinking Rufus has one 1 play time in him per year, haha) but the simple fact that they did play and got along makes me so happy and excited about them growing up together. Bernie knows his boundaries, but I'm hoping that Rufus begins loosening up a little because I think some play time with a little pup will really help in out in the long run.

I'm just excited so I thought I'd let you all know. I'm going to try to post a video so you can see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfXeYT6whl8

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's great!
I have a similar experience with my 2 Toy Poodles.
2 year old Fifi is not interested in playing with toys. I have had her for 3 months and she does the bow play with me when we wake up every morning then she is done for the day.
I got a 18 month old Toy Poodle a few days ago hoping they could be playmates.
7 days go by and I am beginning to think it was a wasted effort. The new girl plays and Fifi just watches as if to say " ho, Hum".
All of a sudden on day eight they started playing together. They played "tug" with a toy for a few mi.
I hope all of them continue to play and enjoy each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walked in the the guys playing again this afternoon! Looks like Rufus still has some spunk in him. This makes me beyond happy !

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Great Video. Rufus is showing lots of play bows, so he's having a good time. I've seen lots of times when the pup rejuvenates the adult.... Please get us some videos when it snows !

In a few months, Bernie may get too energetic for Rufus... or Rufus may get hot faster than the pup. It should be fairly obvious b/c Rufus will collapse on his side, trying to cool off, but Bernie will keep 'torturing' him. If you tease Bernie away from Rufus, and Rufus doesn't follow, then that might be a good time to let Rufus get some water and cool off for a few minutes.... But that also means that you'll have to be the target of Bernie's energy.

At 9 yo, I think the biggest issue is Rufus getting hot, not him getting tired, so you may have to stop them (only briefly) to make Rufus go get some water, so he can slobber on the pup. The pup may follow for water also, then pounce, so make sure Rufus gets a chance to drink. Enjoy it, and continue to take videos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts