Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to move on to another food if the z/d continues to work. After 2.5 years of upset stomachs, diarrhea, etc. it might be time to call it a day on rich foods he may not be able to tolerate. We were on the same path as you - many food trials, including grain free, limited ingredient, single source protein, etc. etc. All high-quality foods. Nothing worked. We moved and went to a new vet, who put her on z/d and Tylan. That was 3.5 years ago and she has not been back to the vet for her stomach condition since. The vet monitors her and as long as she is doing well, we're leaving it alone.

I'll admit, I've been tempted to switch to another food, esp since the z/d is so blasted expensive, but every time I start researching new brands, I remember the trip to the emergency vet and how miserable she used to be when she got sick, which was about every 9-12 weeks. She would go to her bowl, sniff and walk away. It was so clear that she associated eating with being sick - it broke my heart. So I have a sense of what you're going through.

She gets z/d canned and kibble as her base. She can tolerate bits of meat and vegetables as treats - about the size of a finger for the meat and maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vegetables, usually cooked green beans or carrots. She also likes raw carrots, watermelon, and yogurt (make sure it doesn't have artificial sweeteners - toxic for dogs). My vet recommend Activia. Also canned pumpkin (not the pie filling - just plain pumpkin). Ask your vet what she thinks.

The best of luck to you in finding a solution that works.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.