Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
12,462 Posts
The most common problems involve choking or gagging, vomiting or gastric bloating (which can easily be fatal.)

I have had dogs who inhaled their food, but never experienced any of these things.

·
Administrator
12,462 Posts
I've had labs and hounds. Both are notorious chow hounds.

One problem is that dogs like that often don't care what they eat. It doesn't even have to resemble food. The most expensive single vet visit I've ever had was my lab Molly after she went adventuring, got into something very toxic, went into convulsions and spent the night at the closest e-vet an hour away. The next morning she was hungry.

Another lab ate 6 dozen (72!!!) cutout cookies that my wife left cooling on the table. When I got home a little later, he was hungry. About 30 hours later there was a gastric apocalypse that resulted in my rolling up the carpet and throwing it away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My lab is inhaling the food. If there is another dog in the room it becomes ridiculous to see the speed. She can swallow a CUP of food without chewing a single time.
Even though I never took food away from her, if I am close she will eat more quickly. So I bought a slow feeder and I make sure to not be close to her when she eats, also, she eats 3 times a day. So far so good, she has been healthy despite swallowing a lot of things before she knew it was edible. Then she burps loudly after each meal and this is her ...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had dogs that inhale their food, no chewing, just shoveling, bowls empty by the time I turn around after putting their food away.

With my current dog, we started with snuffle mats and puzzles instead of bowls. His kibble size is also much larger than the brand I fed the other two. But he almost never swallows without chewing and I guess since it takes longer to sniff out the food or figure out the puzzle, he never is looking for more food afterward.

I do give him a few treats (which is other kibble) in his snuffle mat or a few training exercises after he's done with his mat and puzzle toys as a reward for eating all his food, but it's only a few treats and just extra incentive to eat all his food first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts