Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jack is a hyper dog. That is putting it lightly. He loves to go beserk in the house and one way I try to get the energy out of him is to take him on walks around the neighborhood.

THing is Jack doesn't like walks.

I take him on the same route everytime and everytime its the same story.

1. He doesnt want to leave the driveway. Not with treats not will encouragement nothing. He will just sit there.

2. When I finally pull him along ( I know I know) He will pull back tward the house. once around the corner he will calm down and walk normal for a bit.

3. Half way through one lap he always pulls towards this one house. Everytime..... I cant get him to understand we dont go over there.

4. about 3/4 of the way around he begins to pull toward the house. I mean pulls with all his might as hard as he can.

5. When we get near the house he starts going beserk pulling towards the house even doing back flips on the leash.

THis is the same scenario every lap. everytime without fail. We have walked that lap at least 60 times the last month and he hasn't changed a bit.

I have tried treats.

I have tried stopping until he stops pulling but he takes off the minute I move. It took me 2 hours to get 1/4 mile.

I tired keeping him beside me and praising him.

Nope

Nope

Nope

nothing is working.

He isn't afraid of dogs or other people as he gets crazy excited when he sees them I just dont get it.

Not walking him cant be an option as his energy levels are way to high not to.

Any pointers?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have more fun at the furthest point away from your house while on your walk. Play his favorite game if possible, have a party and act all goofy, give him lots of his favorite treats, etc. When our dog was like this as a puppy, that worked. Turns out he was having more fun at home than he was having on his walks, so naturally he wanted to go back home.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If he really is hyper then he needs exercise - walking around the block at human pace is all but exercise for a dog. You got to think of a better way for him to channel all that energy.

Edit: You could try some running with him for a couple of miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts