Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do if your dog bites another persons cat and kills it? What do you say? How do you handle this situation? We have greyhounds and we went to a friends house that has a cat – the cat got out of the room it was in and my dog attacked it and it died on the way to the vet.

Please and help! This is absolutely horrible !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, my God! I'm so sorry! There is nothing anyone can say to make it better. Greyhounds are bred to chase furry little animals. He was just doing what he was does. It's not your dog's fault. I feel so sorry for everyone involved.

Horrible accidents happen. You now know not to trust the situation again. Your dog should have been leashed and/or the cat in a carrier. I hope your friends can move on from this. I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Wow, not sure what to tell you to do. Sounds like a bad situation. Was this a friend's pet? Did they know the risk? Did you know the greyhound would most likely chase/attack a cat?

Was the cat in the room as a safety precaution to keep the cat safe? If so, sounds like it was an accident...and the most you can do is apologize. You may want to offer to pay the vet bills.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
the most you can do is apologize. You may want to offer to pay the vet bills.
Ditto that^^ . You also might want to offer to pay the adoption fee on a new cat. Just as a goodwill gesture. If they don't want another cat they should at least appreciate the sentiment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, not sure what to tell you to do. Sounds like a bad situation. Was this a friend's pet? Did they know the risk? Did you know the greyhound would most likely chase/attack a cat?

Was the cat in the room as a safety precaution to keep the cat safe? If so, sounds like it was an accident...and the most you can do is apologize. You may want to offer to pay the vet bills.

We went to a friend's house whom has two boxers that our greyhounds love to play with. Our friends have a cat and put it in one of the bedrooms to keep it away from the dogs, we all knew that my greys do not play well with cats - hence why she was in the room. My friend went to go check on the cat and when she left the room the box in front of the door must have moved and the cat got out. Naturally my dogs went after it and bit it really hard. She was bleeding and has a big puncture in her stomach. They immediately called the vet to take her in and I offered to pay, but they didnt make it to the vet before the cat passed. I felt so bad. We all were in shock and they both kept saying its not your fault, but I feel horrible!

I agree with what you said and I feel in my heart that is what I wanted to do for them. I was going to offer to go with her to get a new cat. It is hard for me in this situation, because I am a dog lover and never had a cat. I dont know the emotional attachments that come with owning a cat.

Thank you all for your support and opinions. This helps me feel alittle more secure about my thoughts towards the situation. I, of course, want to feel as if it was my fault for this to have happen, but so many factors make it purely a bad accident.
Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good grief! Does indeed sound like a terrible accident.

Sounds like you did right in offering to help.

About the cats and emotional attachment... I love my kitties every bit as much as I love my dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts