Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atka went for her annual today. She got her shots and, with the exception of Lyme vaccine, she is now good for 3 years on the general stuff (distemper etc.) and needs to have rabies in 2 years.

Vet checked her stem to stearn and was VERY VERY pleased with her hips and range of motion..

But the most wonderful thing in all of this is MY DOG BEHAVED. She did not offer to jump up. In fact, when they got down on the floor to examine her she would not come out of a sit to a stand because I have so over trained her to SIT when ppl give her attention. Finally I lured her with treats.

She LOVES the vets. She is ready to hire on as the Vet Office Ambassador dog.. and they are ready to have her!

FWIW, while the vet was giving her shots and the tech was holding her, I was stuffing treats in her. Keepin' it positive.

When we got done, my vet said to the Vet Tech, "Look at this dog. She has BEAUTIFUL MANNERS!" With all the dogs they see, these words are NOT shared out of turn.. and they were the seetest words of the day.

YEEESSSS!!!!!! All that consistant and insistant training pays off. FINALLY.

PS: The cat was there too for her blood test.. she is hyperthyroid.. and she has to have pills 2X a day.. the Vet said, "How do you give the cat her pills?" I looked at him funny and said, "I just ask her to open her mouth and give them." He siad, "Really?" Umm.. "Yeah???" I asked if there was something wrong with that and he just laughed... seems most cats don't take to pills too well. Mine are no problem. Never have been???

I told him I had a secret.. I dabbed my finger in peanut butter and then the pill would stick to the end of it so it was pretty easy to give. I dunno.. all my cats let me do what I want and cooperate.. pretty much do as asked.. but from his look and comments I guess that my cats are as well mannered as my dog and both are fairly unique. :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That is awesome Elana! Lola tends to be very well mannered after the office people tell her "she's a pretty girl". We're working on Ilya. After his heartworm treatments, he does not like going to the vet's office a bit and I had to muzzle him. His vet even suggested a sedative before the visit for the next bad ear infection :(

It sounds like you have excellent animal "proximity" (possitive association that promotes positive expectations)

·
Registered
189 Posts
AWESOME! I'm jealos. Merry just slinks around acting timid and terrified at the vet, Zerbert is a puppy so just a little over excited but not too bad, but Pickles. . .I don't wana talk about it. . .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Congratulations! That is really awesome about Atka. I wish wish wish Poca was even half as good at the vet. She was fine for the first 1-1.5 years of her life; she even liked going and would get excited to go. But then the doc hit a nerve while giving her a shot. She's been afraid ever since. Our vet is 30 miles away and not open every weekend, so it's not easy to drop in to help her get over her fear. Need to start doing that now.

The cats, though, that's just plain weird... ;)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She was spayed by these vets and has had all her care there. Fact is, her other vet, Bill, she is just wild about. I have known Bill for about 25 years now. I think Atka would recognize Bill any where we saw him.

Two weeks ago my Mom's cat was very very sick. I rushed her to the Vet and due to my dad having Alzheimer's (he will just 'let the dog out'....) Atka had to come with me. She LOVED IT. She got to sit in the Cat Waiting room and with her love of cats she was just beside herself.

In the exam room there were two really wonderful prints of cats and she sat there and looked at the paintings while Pretty Kitty was being examined and treated. Yeah.. they were pretty real.

When the ill cat needed follow up nursing care and had to come home with us for a week, Atka was beside herself with joy... (I have a cat sick room here with rooms in between that my house cats have no access to, so I can take in a sick kitty for nursing and vet care on occaision). She seems to think that now when we got to the vet we are supposed to be bringing home a cat or two.. BTW the cat is fine and back home and doing well.

I think if I keep the treats coming during proceedures and she goes with me when my other animals go (so she isn't always the subject) I can keep the positive vibes going. IOW's any associated misery is not every time. More frequently good things happen as opposed to bad things happening.

Of course, if she is really sick and is really suffering, and the proceedure really hurts her, this all may end. However, just like any "doctor" visit I will spend extra money to numb pain if it is prudent and possible to do so.

As to cats.. I just never have had any trouble handling my own cats that I have raised. I do stuff to them when they are little kittens and get that food association going. I also spend time training them. Much more fun and interesting to have a cat that will do things on cue and communicate freely with you.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Nice job Elana and Atka :D

Wally won't misbehave, but I wish he would be such a shaking, nervous mess. Tried to give him treats, but he's just too nervous to take them. He usually just sits and looks at me - panting and shaking, and always wants me to look at him. If I look away, I can feel him pawing me lightly or sometimes he's stand up to "tap" my knee and then sit again.

He didn't do anything bad during his shots - didn't even yelp or try to get away, so I guess in that light he was well behaved and they said he was brave so he did something right.

I guess it's the same sort of thing with the groomer - he's nervous and shaking, but they always say he's the best behaved dog of the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts