Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the tests for intelligence is self-awareness. In our ego-centric world, most animals fail the test for self-awareness because the cannot recognize themselves in a mirror. In recent years, people questioned that test for dogs [and other animals], because a dog's primary sense is smell, not sight. Research confirmed that dogs can recognize their own scent. I don't know if this test works with sighthounds ... I would imagine that it would.

I also believe that dogs mark objects, not as a way to tell everyone this is my territory, but as an olfactory blinking light that reminds them of visiting this object, or of 'bread crumbs' to help them navigate new paths to return back home.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170905111355.htm

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
as puppy's to human babies when it comes to the mirror image.... do believe the animals have (are aware of) an internal GPS mapping system

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. My dog has a much better sense of direction than I do. I think that people had a better sense of direction, but it has declined from lack of use. But, one of the most useful methods for remembering is the Memory Palace, which exploits location memory for remembering items, etc. So, a 'sense of location' is still in there somewhere.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I suck of intuition direction.. many times in pitch blackness when I go out to see where the dogs might be I'm pulled to the exact opposite so I do the second guessing and over ride my first instinct and am right. And when it comes to returning to a place I am visual landmark orientated. even to little details.. Colorado Springs use to be big on open spaces in the city and for 10 years I could return anywhere due to those individual visual cues.. Now not living there for 17 years, no more open spaces,, it's all housing and each house for miles is exactly the same... was so messed up in my head and sense of where I was....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts