Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Q.E.D. :)

I loved the experiment where the dr. closed her eyes and the dog took the treat! I swear Poca behaves differently when I'm looking vs. not. Like a small child who does something naughty and then asks if if you saw them do it, believing that if you didn't see it, it didn't really happen.

·
Banned
363 Posts
I just tried it. He wouldn't eat the treat if my eyes were opened, closed or even if I left the room (60 second limit). Is he winning or loosing?

Love the pups in the video.

·
Banned
42 Posts
I believe that the reason dogs notice a change in the eye position of humans is because they are predators and look at other predators and prey in the eyes.
For example, we humans, whom are omnivores, tend to look at others in the eyes while talking. Even when we see dogs, we look at them in the eyes. dogs might notice the change because they are always with us and their brains register items like change of eye position when we move them we commonly tend to approach the object we were looking at.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Did you just say "rad"? :p

Neat video.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Hopefully the dogs can eventually be trained to alert diabetics, but the article is just referring to anecdotal evidence akin to Aunt Em forecasting hurricanes when her bad shoulder aches.

There are also all sorts of anecdotes and stories about dogs alerting epileptics prior to seizures, and some British group is supposedly "training" them as well, but when the scientists (American Academy of Neurology] finally show up, they conclude:

the current literature fails to support that canines can warn of impending seizures
The discussion was at http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/54207-bsl-service-dogs.html

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not sure what made you thought the radness of dogs needed scientific proof, or that this article was submitted as scientific proof, nevertheless, the fact remains, dogs are rad!

·
Banned
363 Posts
Yes dogs are rad. My dog provides me with all the scientific proof of that that I require.

But dogs don't forecast seizures, cancers, earthquakes, bear markets, gas price hikes, etc etc. They are rad for other reasons.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I've seen Donny before. If I went out into my yard in the morning and saw dog-toy vignettes on the lawn, I'd suspect my pet of being an alien life form.

I think the mere fact that the Dr's last name is "Smuts" proves that dogs are smarter than we are.

·
Banned
363 Posts
That's your opinion and your opinion fails to meet the criteria of the baloney test.
And you are the arbiter of what meets the baloney test? LOL.

Well, I'll let the American Academy of Neurology know that their 'opinion' does not meet your 'baloney test'. They'll be heartbroken.

I think Donnie the doberman in your video is actually communicating with extraterrestrials. At least the same theme music plays as in those late night shows about the Bermuda Triangle and circles in the desert and other crap.

By the way, for those who are geometrically challenged, any 3 objects thrown onto the ground (unless they just happen to fall into a perfect line) will form a triangle. Donnie DaVinci. LOL.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And you are the arbiter of what meets the baloney test?
If you have a clue to what I'm referencing, yes; if you don't, take note of the buzzing flying over head.

Well, I'll let the American Academy of Neurology know that their 'opinion' does not meet your 'baloney test'. They'll be heartbroken.
The AAN would endorse the baloney test, that's what science is...your opinion, not so much.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Nice!

Hmm...I wonder why Wally doesn't react to my eye positions. Heck, I can turn my head and he won't react, but if I point - off he goes!

Hmm...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts