Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kenya loves loves loves the pool

she doesn't actually swim. bu when we are playing outside, she loves to laydown on the steps to cool off (as you can see) lol

What i'm concerned about is that she does drink the water, a lot. and im wondering if longterm this could cause her any harm. we have fresh water available, but she just loves to laydown and have a drink.

The pool does have chlorine and other chemicals and such..

I dunno, I just feel like I'm doing all this effort to put her on Raw, and shes just slurping up chemicals from the pool! lol

we even tried getting a kiddie pool for her filled with fresh water, but she didn't even like it..

as you can see.. there are 2 sides with steps. there other side of the pool has a lower step.. and thats her favorite drinking spot when shes outside the pool

Am i worrying too much?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Your puppies are so cute. I honestly don't know, but I'd talk to your vet. We had an above ground pool growing up and I'm sure I swallowed a lot of water as a kid, but I don't think it did me any permanent long term harm. (Others would probably differ.)

·
Banned
335 Posts
Many municipalities put chlorine and other additives in the drinking water these days, so I'm not sure that your dog would get that much more in pool water, unless you're shocking your pool. I agree with others, though, in that if you're really concerned I'd ask the vet about it. Doing a simple water analysis first would give the vet something to build an opion on.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
All things considered, chlorine in a swimming pool is much less worrying to me than, say, giardia from a mud puddle. Consult your vet about the specific chemicals you're adding, but if the scent isn't strong enough to repel the dog, then I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd be more concerned about a dog drowning in the pool, than drinking the water. The people that previously owned my house had their dog drown in the pool. Any house we buy, we fence off the pool so the dogs cannot get to it unless we are with them.

(the cute puppies in the pic are especially in danger if they are allowed near the pool without supervision.)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be more concerned about a dog drowning in the pool, than drinking the water. The people that previously owned my house had their dog drown in the pool. Any house we buy, we fence off the pool so the dogs cannot get to it unless we are with them.

(the cute puppies in the pic are especially in danger if they are allowed near the pool without supervision.)
Shes never out there unsupervised, shes an indoor dog. The puppies, I fostered for the shelter and found homes for. they weren't allowed out there without supervision either
The problem is that we are all in the backyard a lot, and while Im playing with her, she will take a dip and have a drink. In this very hot south florida weather even with a short play session she always is looking for a way to cool off
and in any case. she does know how to swim and we have taught her where the steps are.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Shes never out there unsupervised, shes an indoor dog. The puppies, I fostered for the shelter and found homes for. they weren't allowed out there without supervision either
The problem is that we are all in the backyard a lot, and while Im playing with her, she will take a dip and have a drink. In this very hot south florida weather even with a short play session she always is looking for a way to cool off
and in any case. she does know how to swim and we have taught her where the steps are.
Good to know. So many people aren't as responsible as you are, so thought I'd mention the danger.

And props to you for fostering shelter puppies. There is such a need for people that can do that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know. So many people aren't as responsible as you are, so thought I'd mention the danger.

And props to you for fostering shelter puppies. There is such a need for people that can do that.
it was an amazing experience, but i dont think ill do it again for a LONG time. the combination of lack of sleep and picking up poop every 5 minutes really took it out of me lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts